Boiling the Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElTejon

Reaction score
Would there be an advantage/disadvantage in placing the immersion chiller in your boil pot prior to starting the boil as opposed to placing it in at the last 10 minute mark? When you put it in at the last 10 minute mark it brings the boil to a grinding halt. Or does boiling the coil for an hour bring unwanted elements into your wort?

Rick

The main disadvantage is that it will act as a giant heat sink and you'll spend extra energy getting your wort back to boiling. Is it copper of stainless steel?

Mine is in for the entire boil. I use a hop spider and it's just easier to have the chiller in place rather than try to move a very hot hop spider around.

I thoroughly rinse and brush my copper coil chiller with a kitchen scrubber after each use and then allow it to dry completely before storage. Fifteen minutes in StarSan prior to use is all it needs to sanitize and brighten the copper by removing the oxide layer. Clean, bright copper will also provide some free copper ions to your wort which will help to scrub any sulfur compounds from your beer.

I just sanitize it about 15 minutes before flameout, then put it in when I turn off the burner.

Rev.

From what I've read the only disadvantage is cleanup and it will inhibit whirl pooling. A lot of guys have hard mounted chillers in their brew pots. And apparently they love it. I say try it if you want. See what makes you happy. Just keep an eye on the hose to make sure they don't lay on the rim and melt.

Love my hop spider,I usually add it with 10 minutes to go. It can be a little tricky with the hop spider in the keggle.

Latest posts

Back