Boiled the specialty grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramer

Reaction score
Not sure what I was thinking (wasn't really), but on batch #2, I boiled my specialty grains in water for like 40 minutes, instead of heating the water up to 150 or so, and just letting them steep. I'm guessing this won't make much difference.......but just in case, what say you?

Let's see, there was another question.....oh yea, if you fermented your Belgian Ale for about 3 weeks total, and then bottled, how long would you let it "age" in the bottles b4 cracking them open? Being a newb, it's tough keeping them in there ;)

Best keep your 2nd batch going...see where it turns up, never know, could be great (astringency could be possible to answer your question)...what type of belgian? Recipes help!

2nd question.....bottle conditioning....3 weeks....70 degrees.....minimum....:mug:

For the first bottle, yes. If it tastes amazing, drink a few more whenever you feel like it. If it's only ok, give it 2-3 more weeks. Either way, "lose" a few for another month or 2 before you drink them. They will most likely be extra amazing.

Don't worry about having the grains in the boil. Yes you might get some additional tannins that you might notice (or not). Back in the 70s, Dave Line's instructions in "Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy" said to leave the speciality grains in the boil. Wouldn't do that now, but what the heck.

When to drink. In Summer, they could be carb'd in a week. I usually crack a bottle after about 10 days. They will improve over a couple of months. Just remember that when you get to the last bottle and say "That bottle was the best of them all". It's your beer, drink it when you want. It's ready as soon as it is carb'd.

You might have some astringency from additional tannins, but I was told that after I ran some chocolate malt through a coffee maker. That turned out to be one of my best beers. **** happens, my man. Get used to it as a brewer. You will get something unexpected nearly every batch (unless you have a RIMS or HERMS or a PRO rig...). Go with it. Your beer will be fine. It might take a little more time than some to mellow out, but it will be probably fine. Don't pour it until it tastes like **** for 12 consecutive months.

Latest posts

Back