Boiled 1.5 Gallons down to 1 liter for a .7 Gallon Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acolman

Reaction score
So I am back with more fun!

I tried again to make a 1 gallon all-grain batch (yes, i'm a noob and should be doing canned stuff right now...)

I bought 3 pounds of grain, i used from papazian book the measurement that each pound retains .1 of a liter, I started with 1 gallon mash which meant i would use 1.1 gallons to sparge to make up for the .5 gallon evaporating away. 1.5 gallons ended up in the boil pot. I got the .5 gallon evaporation measurement from the preset on beer tools pro. I think i might have missed something in papazian's book, becasue my 1.5 gallons boiled down to 1 liter of wort with a gravity of 1.1300 or 17.5%

In my recipe on beertools my ABV was registered at 5.75 for the amount of grain and it being a final batch size of 1 gallon. So i figured that it i added water to make it a gallon t would magically go to 5.75... no it went to 3.7% Ohhhh sad, well i stuck it back on the stove top and boiled and boiled away until i got the gravity back up to 6% which ended up being about .7 of a gallon!

Can anyone tell me where i might have gone wrong with my water calculations? Maybe direct me to a place that spells out boil rates and such things. I had the element on high so it was boiling hard the whole hour i had it on the stove top.

I then stuck it out in the snow for 15 minutes, covered with tin foil of course to keep the little bits out... and pitched the yeast... shook the living hell out of it and went to bed...

4 hours later! $30 and 4 hours invested into .7 gallons of beer, this is called the school of hard knocks.

Thanks

Andrew

Dude...What are you messing around with such a small batch for? I drank a gallon an hour ago. Why are you wasting your time?

i love to cook and i don't really drink, but this seems like another way of creating flavours. And yes, wasting my time is true, i will from now on only make 2.5 gallons just to actually feel like a made something worth while. But that wont be for a while i need to recover from last nights incident.

I understand. One thing I will say though is that if you brew 5 gallons, you will be very popular very quickly. You will have plenty to cook with too. :ban:

Back