boil time ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Action

Reaction score
Ok so I haven't brewed in a few years.....trying to get back into it. I brew 10 gallon batches. Just wondering how long it takes to get it to a boil.....I am guessing 13 gallons with outside temps at around 50-70 f.
Thanks
jack

It all depends on how much heat input you have, and to a lesser extent how much heat you lose from the kettle surface to the air (you lose more if it's cold out, and a whole lot more if it's windy.) Best way to find out is just to put 13 gal of water in the kettle, and time how long it takes. You can then let it boil for an hour (gentle rolling boil) to see what your hourly boil off rate is. Don't wait for brew day to do this.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks.....I am changing a few things around and was just kind of wondering.......I did play with about 10 gallons of water.....for the most part to just clean things. got it right at boil but seemed like it stalled out ...or I just got tired of waiting on water.....lol....
Jack

Burner output matters. What are you running under your boil kettle?

Presumably you're raising your runoff from ~150°F to a boil. My pre-boil is typically 13 gallons, but I fly-sparge at a quart per minute, and as soon as I get an inch or more of wort in the BK I light up its bg14 burner. By the time I've made my 13 gallons it's not far from a boil, maybe another 15 minutes.

All that would be different if batch sparging where runoff rate can be as fast as your pump can handle. Should be a lot quicker all told...

Cheers!

it takes me hours at 4,500ft. to boil down a 10 gallon batch, on NG...i mean like 3-4 hours...(and may i say i love your use of periods, lol, i almost thought it was one of my posts:cask:)

but i see you're at ~600' when i lived at 1,500', and was brewing on a propane burner, it took like 15-20 minutes to boil, and an hour to boil off...

I use keggles in my brew setup, each with a 240,000 BTU banjo burner set about 5 inches below the bottom of the keggle, and it takes about 20 minutes or so to get wort going.

Back