Boil question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Last week I made my first attempt at a 1 gallon all grain brew. Been doing 5 gallons for about 5 years and simply wanted to try a smaller batch. So my questions is everything went fine up to the one hour boil if the wort. I know for a fact I got it to a rolling boil and put in the first hops. I felt the boil was a bit rough so I dialed it back just a bit. Came back 30 minutes later and it was not rolling anymore but temperature appeared to be around 210ish. I turned flame up again and came back in another 30 minutes and found the same thing. I did not know what to do at that point so I simply followed through with the rest of the procedure and dropped the yeast in as always. 4 days later it appears to be fermenting just fine. Do I have to worry about anything? Luckily it was just a one gallon batch so no harm at all but a good lesson to learn. Let me know your thoughts and thank you all in advance.

I would assume you are ok, you say it was at 210 when you came back, being a chemist that sounds just fine for the alpha acid isomerization. 2 degrees will not hurt anything (unless mashing) and the nasties are probably all dead from the short boils you did get.

Back