Boil pot hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enf0rc3r

Reaction score
Hey all. I got a true brew kit for Christmas. Just brewed my first batch of beer Sunday. English brown ale.

Here's my questions..... The brewers handbook, and the instructions with the ale kit varied a little. The handbook said after cooling my brew pot, just dump it right in my primary and dilute until proper gravity achieved. The kit said siphon out of my pot and leave the sediment in the pot. When I checked my OG, it was really low, so I used a sanitized spoon to scoop out the hops and put them in. It got my OG to the proper level and the taste was much better. Did I do the right thing? I got two days of airlock activity and I plan on cracking the lid Sunday for the first gravity check.

Wait till the 2 week mark for an FG test,it should be close by then. The act of scooping hops into the wort stirred it up better. So that's all you need to do. I pour the chilled wort & top off water through a fine mesh strainer in a circular motion to aerate the wort,besides straining out any gunk that I can. Then stir with a plastic paddle roughly for 5 minutes straight to aerate a lil more. This also mixes the wort & top off water well.
So what you did just stirred it up.

Oh and just so you know, the OG I got it to was 1.045. The FG should be 1.013 I believe it said with an abv of about 4.75. Sound right?

Back