Boil off rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhm8484

Reaction score
Check my math lol i boiled 1 gallon of water for 15 min. I lost .708 of a gallon so i took that times 4 and got 1.707 of a gallon lost per hour of boil. Does this right have a 10 gallon cold break brewing kettle and a bayou classic 59,000 btu burner. I wasn't running it all way up but if say half way and was a nice boil.

I have a 10 gallon pot and a Bayou Classic SP10 burner and my boil off is 2 gallons in an hour. So your number seems close. I get more boil off than most.

That's what my brand is also do you boil wide open or throttle back

I start out wide open. Once the boil starts I go as low as it will stay lit. It is still a pretty vigorous boil. One time I got it to stay on very low and ended up with too much wort at a low gravity.

Okay yea I have yet to use it for brewing I'm getting ready to switch to all grain with full boils so I'm trying to get all numbers plugged in to beersmith

Start with the numbers you have. Take actual measurements when you brew, then fine tune your equipment profile in Beersmith. You will have to "dial" things in in Beersmith. It is a tool and you will have to learn its use. I was close using the tutorials, then it took me a few to get better numbers and another dozen brews to fine tune.

Something else to think about when figuring out boil-off rate is the relative humidity. I tend to notice a big difference when the humidity is over 65%. Like kh54s10 says, though, alter as you go, even if that means brew-to-brew

Yea yesterday in central pa the weather was mid 40s and phone said humidity was 95%

Something else to think about when figuring out boil-off rate is the relative humidity. I tend to notice a big difference when the humidity is over 65%. Like kh54s10 says, though, alter as you go, even if that means brew-to-brew

I would say that temperature and humidity would make a SMALL difference, but a difference none the less.

Back