Boil lengths and temps ..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifearnothing0

Reaction score
I have only 20 batches under my belt at the most but I have read allot on this app/site and watched as many videos on YouTube as I can .. But .. Does a lower slower boil , along with later; gradual addition of liquid malt extract result in a super bitter tasting pre-yeasted wort ?

I would say, no?
To be honest, your question doesn't make a ton of sense to me. No matter what you do, you want a vigorous boil. In terms of LME/DME addition, I believe you can add that later in the boil if you're doing a partial mash and if you're having scorching problems. Otherwise, add it at the beginning. In terms of boiled length, I like to do 90min boils, but that's my preference. 60min is plenty.
Are you trying for an extra bitter wort, or is that what you're getting now? What kind of hop additions are you doing?

If you're referring to increased hop utilization, I just checked with this calculator and according to that, doubling your boil length from 60 to 120 min gives about 9% increased hop utilization and if you were to add half your fermentables late you get about a 20% increase in hop utilization. Combined that's almost a 30% increase in IBUs, which is significant, but I wouldn't call super bitter.

Back