Boil Kettle Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlkiBrewing

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing 5-6 gallon AG batches using a Blichmann 10 gallon kettle. I'd like to brew some 10 gallon batches. Would a 15 gallon kettle be adequate or do I need to go to a 20 gallon? Thanks!

I do 10-11 gal batches in a keggle (15.5 gals) with no problems. Usually start out with 13-14 gals of wort at beginning of boil

A 20 would be the best size for brewing 10 gallon batches, but since you said "some" 10 gallon batches, the 15 might be a better choice. A 20 gallon is a very large pot and will be a little inconvenient for 5 gallon batches. A 15 will be a little inconvenient for 10 gal batches.

More 10 gal batches than 5 gal batches....get the 20 gallon pot
More 5 gal batches than 10 gal batches....get the 15 gallon pot

JMO
cheers

A 20 would be the best size for brewing 10 gallon batches, but since you said "some" 10 gallon batches, the 15 might be a better choice. A 20 gallon is a very large pot and will be a little inconvenient for 5 gallon batches. A 15 will be a little inconvenient for 10 gal batches.

More 10 gal batches than 5 gal batches....get the 20 gallon pot
More 5 gal batches than 10 gal batches....get the 15 gallon pot

JMO
cheers

+1 Perfect advice. I brew mostly 10G batches and I'm feeling a little restricted by my 16G HLT, MLT, and BK. I'm looking to upgrade the MLT and then the BK to at least 20G and start doing 15G batches...

Back