Boil kettle construction for a better filtration out of the boil kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finlandbrews

Reaction score
I was just thinking that wouldn't it be best to have the bottom of kettle in a slight pyramid or dome shape with a dip arm that would go on the top of that pyramid. Particles would fall down the pyramid/dome and we would collect nice filtered wort only. I think I'm funny with these kind of threads but it helps to learn more.

Cheers

Testing's shown that including the trub has beneficial effects on yeast help and esters in the ferment. People who try to clear their wort pre-ferment typically use whirlpooling. You can also use a converted keg as a kettle, which will of course have a domed bottom.

Thanks! Btw, what s the best way to whirlpool? I've seen people with some kind of whirlpool dip arm inside their kettle, how does it work?

Thanks! Btw, what s the best way to whirlpool? I've seen people with some kind of whirlpool dip arm inside their kettle, how does it work?

No real "best" way. The basic idea is this: create a sustained flow of water along the outer side of a vessel and the solids in that vessel will begin collecting in the middle, eventually forming a cone. People use a dip arm, or a tangential inlet...there's a few ways. Dip arms are easier to accomplish than installing a tangential inlet.

You can do it like so:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=6817576

Or you can just use a long stir spoon. If you do it with a recirculation arm, you will, naturally, need a pump of some kind to create that flow.

There are many manufacturers of kettles that have false bottom screens for this. You can also use a bazooka tube. I however just use a regular dual mesh strainer, sits in the mouth of my fermenter and I just hold the tubing over it to collect hop gunk and any trub or adjuncts (coriander and orange peel for example). Wouldn't work for something like a carboy though.

Rev.

Just dump everything (except maybe the very thickest sediment into your fermenter. It really makes no difference on the end product and may actually be beneficial to the yeast.

Latest posts

Back