Boil Break in the Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stone1ipa

Reaction score
John Palmer discusses the possibility of getting off flavors from some of the break leftover in the boil and suggests not transferring all of it into your fermenter. What is your experience? Do you transfer everything from your boil into your fermenter?

I wouldn't want all that in my fermentor but at the same time I don't freak out about some of it getting in. I don't think I let enough in to contribute to off flavors so I can't comment on that. I would be more concerned with the volume it took up in my fermentor and possibly creating a really dirty yeast cake if I was planning to re-use it.

I don't want all this in my beer!

First image: Hops and hot break

Second image: Cold break

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

The trub will compact in the fermentor and actually help clear the beer, leaving a clearer, crisper tasting beer in the end. Don't fear the trub.

John Palmer discusses the possibility of getting off flavors from some of the break leftover in the boil and suggests not transferring all of it into your fermenter. What is your experience? Do you transfer everything from your boil into your fermenter?

No, not everything. My dip tube leaves behind some stuff in the boil kettle. But no, I don't worry about transferring anything from the BK into my carboys. I don't detect any off-flavors in my beer and nobody in my brew club has mentioned off-flavors either.

Back