Body or Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMunster

Reaction score
We all know that when mashing at a lower temperature there is more fermentable sugars available. Mashing at higher temperatures creates a great body, but lacks in fermentable sugars. My question is which temperature do you prefer; Body or sugar? Also, why do you prefer that way?

Depends on the beer and style. In general, ales I go higher for lower gravity beers and low for high gravity beers. There will be plenty of body from all the malt in a high gravity beer and I usually want it to get as dry as possible so it won't be cloying. I don't want lighter beers thin and lifeless. Lagers I do a little lower than ales, but it depends on the style. I generally want my lagers clean and dry..

I agree 100% with brewsmith.

The only exception is when I do lighter brews for SWMBO. For her I usually mash low (149-150) and for an extended time (90-120min), as well as use a small amount of adjuncts (a little rice in the mash). It comes out thin, light, and dry, how she likes it. Obviously I still haven't quite gotten her over BMC, but I am slowly getting there. At least I am still getting to make beer :D I have brewed her recipe a couple of times but I am still fine tuning the hopping schedule and grain bill. This last batch turned out spot on for what she was looking for, so once I brew it one or two more times to ensure reproducibility, I will be sure to post the recipe.

If you don't like sweet beer then never mash above 150F. I can not stand sweet beer of any kind so you know I only mash at 150 or below. If a style is sweet I avoid it like the plague.

Back