Bock Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyhowell

Reaction score
I just transferred my bock from the primary to the secondary. Here are the steps I followed and need suggesions. I fermented the primary at 60 degrees +/_ 5 Degrees for three weeks. I raised the temperature to 75 degrees for 72 hours then lowered it to 38 degrees for one week. I transferred last night to my secondary and the beer is very sweet with a FG of 1.025, the OG was 1.047. Any suggestions are welcomed, I just raised the temperature back up to 60 degrees and I am considering pitching another batch of yeast to lower the FG and rid it of the sweetness. This is my second batch of AG and I need to get my stuff together.

Hmmm what yeast did you use, and did you make a big enough starter? What was your mash temps? 1.047 down to 1.025 is definitely not a good sign after three weeks.

Also, 55-65F is too hot for a normal Bock beer, depending on the yeast. At 65F there's no need for a diacytl rest, as 65F is suficient to clean up diacytl, assuming the yeast are still working.

I used Whit Labs German Bock Yeast (WLP833). I made a 32 ounce starter that was really rocking away. For two days after pitching there was a lot of action, then I stopped watching it for the next few weeks assuming all was well. Is there anything I can do to re-start the fermentation process or is it all over but the crying? I went with 60F because that is what the instructions AHB provided with the kit, now I'm thinking I'll follow my Beer Smith. Any suggestions?

You could try to pitch new yeast, but I don't know if it will take right now. If you tried it, you should essentially make a large starter, pitching the new yeast into fresh wort, then merging that with your current beer when it's flying high.

To be honest, it would have been better to catch this earlier. The 60 degrees shouldn't be the reason behind the poor attenuation.

Back