boat hot start to heat sparge and strike water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar_dog_1

Reaction score
So I had a boat hot start (block heater) brand new and tried to see how fast it would heat 5 gallons of water to175 deg. Obviously I would not be using a jabsco or the attached hoses. With 80 deg water to start, it took 1hour to heat to 175. I am going to remove the element and try placing it directly into the pail and time that. I will post my results.. btw it is a 120v 1500 watt element.

ForumRunner_20130822_120445.jpg

Ok so simly immersing the coil took 1 hour as well. I am hoping to cut the time down while heating the water in the cooler itself. The bucket was really hot and I think I lost a lot of heat. I am gonna try it tomos.

But sinse the time was the same, I am gonna stick with the immersion type. I simply pulled the element out of the heater and flipped it around and reattached. This gives a tested watertight seal with no issues. Just gotta figue out how to safly mount to the inside of the cooler so it does not touch the walls.

I would love to hear any thoughts on this as I am only still setting up my first all grain brew stand. Thanks in advance!!

ForumRunner_20130822_152003.jpg

Back