Boadicea Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippajak

Reaction score
I recently stumbled onto the name "Boadicea" while browsing Hopslist for something new to play with. I was immediately intrigued by the name, the warrior queen of ancient Britain who rebelled against the Romans, and I liked Hopslist's description of a delicate floral aroma and flavor.

Finding more information about Boadicea has felt much like a unicorn hunt. The internet has yielded me a handful of names of commercial brews that have used the hop, mostly British beers that I don't believe I can get my hands on. Very few people seem to have homebrewing experience with it, and the owner of my LHBS had never even heard of such a hop.

I think it was this mysterious quality that obsessed me. I had to have this hop. I found a U.S. based online supplier that carried Boadicea, and placed an order for a pound. It is now safely tucked away in my freezer. My plan is to brew an ordinary bitter using Boadicea as the sole hop, to try to get a feel for what she's all about.

Does anyone have any brewing experience using Boadicea? I have read reports ranging from "much stronger than standard UK hops" to "you need 2-3 times as much as you would use Goldings," so I'm at a bit of a loss for amounts. The current draft of the recipe I'm working up uses 2 oz in 5.5 gal, with most of the hop additions late in the boil. I'm considering upping the late hop additions or possibly doing a hopstand, but I'm afraid of getting too much "grassy" taste.

Any advice, HBT?

I only used them once, in a bitter. They were floral, fairly goldings like with a tinge of chinook-like pine tar from what i remember. Overall, fairly mild, probably along the lines of fuggles or goldings in intensity. YMMV this was 2 years ago.

I made a premium bitter with these hops last fall. I had 1 oz of Boadicea with 1 oz of EKG in the Whirlpool, and 1 oz Boadicea at 15 minutes. It was a simple recipe and it had a nice floral character with hints of orange. Overall very mild but pleasant.

Thanks, all, for the replies. It sounds as though it would be pretty difficult to overdo it with Boadicea. I'm probably going to add another handful as a whirlpool addition, so that I can really see what she has to offer. Besides, whirlpool hops are the latest toy in my brewing toolbox, so I'll take any excuse!

We don't see a great deal of them in England either. They don't get much attention on UK brewing forums. I've not brewed with them but I've had an occasional pint containing them, including a single hop. They are indeed gentle, floral, pleasant, suited to something light and drinkable. An ordinary bitter or a blonde ale I guess. Adnams use them in some of their beers, but they seem to mix them with other hops.

Back