Bo Pils Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsg02

Reaction score
I love a good Bohemian Pilsner, however my attempt at making one a few years ago fell short, back to try again. When reading I came across this in a BYO article

An authentic Pilsner mash should have a pH of about 4.5–4.8, which is significantly lower than the typical recommended range of 5.2–5.6. The low Pilsner pH, therefore, results in a slightly lower brewhouse yield, but its effect on the mash, the wort and the beer also help to define the Czech/Bohemian Pilsner as a distinct lager style.​

No where else have I seen a Bo Pils mash pH recommended so low and would require a decent amount of acid to get there with any water. Anyone have some insight to this? I will probably still calculate for a 5.2 pH

I'm not sure where I saw the same information - rarely use BYO but it might have been there.
I did my first 10g batch of Bohemian Pils this summer and with my grain bill and 100% RO water Bru'nwater specified 21 ml of 25% PA to hit pH 5.2.
Not as much as I thought it would take so I went with it, and the beer came out pretty darned good - a pleasant "time out" from all the NEIPAs I have on tap :)
But to get to mid 4s? Not gonna try it.

Cheers!

I'm not sure where I saw the same information - rarely use BYO but it might have been there.
I did my first 10g batch of Bohemian Pils this summer and with my grain bill and 100% RO water Bru'nwater specified 21 ml of 25% PA to hit pH 5.2.
Not as much as I thought it would take so I went with it, and the beer came out pretty darned good - a pleasant "time out" from all the NEIPAs I have on tap :)
But to get to mid 4s? Not gonna try it.

Cheers!

Thanks, I'll just aim for 5.2

Just for grins I pulled up my Bru'n Water spreadsheet for the Bohemian Pils and it says I'd need just under 48 ml of 25% PA to hit pH 4.5.
Seems like a heck of a lot of acid, I don't think I could commit a full batch to giving that a try without following a few success stories...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back