BMC Sales Figures?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottleopener

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm working on an essay on the effectiveness of various types of add campaigns in selling beers. I'm going to be comparing Bud's "funny" Drinkability campaign, Miller's "OMG WE USE HOPS" campaign, and Coors "WE HAVE COOL BOTTLES" campaigns to see which was most effective at reeling in consumers.

After 20 minutes of Google hunting, I have been unable to locate any specific sales figures for these companies. This is where I turn to you, HBT.

Does anyone know where I can pick up statistics on BMC beer sales in 2008? First quarter 2009 sales figures would also be incredible.

After my attempts failed, I figured this would be the next most likely place to find the information needed.

Thanks a bunch,
-bottleopener

I would email the companies marketing groups. They are publicly traded, so you should be able to get the info you are looking for.

Often times, actual research just doesn't work on the interwebs, you still have to talk to real people.

You can probably find out sales figures from annual/quarterly sales reports, but you wouldn't be able to attribute any changes to any particular marketing campaign, especially during a recession. The data you'd need to establish a causal relationship are almost certainly company secrets.

This exactly what my company does. You could always buy the stats handbook that we publish, but it'd cost you about $500....

To get a truly accurate comparison you'd have to figure out when each company started their particular ad campaign and adjust sales volumes from there. You'd also want to get stats from the same time period last year so you can see how much growth there was based on a year ago comparison. Next, how are you gauging the amount of increase/decrease in sales that is due to the particular ad campaigns and how much is due to other ad campaigns, promotional offers, etc.? Finally, what segment of sales are you looking into, on premise(bars, restaurants) or off premise(liquor stores, grocery stores), I ask this because merchandising/drink specials will play a large role for on premise sales.

This exactly what my company does. You could always buy the stats handbook that we publish, but it'd cost you about $500....

To get a truly accurate comparison you'd have to figure out when each company started their particular ad campaign and adjust sales volumes from there. You'd also want to get stats from the same time period last year so you can see how much growth there was based on a year ago comparison. Next, how are you gauging the amount of increase/decrease in sales that is due to the particular ad campaigns and how much is due to other ad campaigns, promotional offers, etc.? Finally, what segment of sales are you looking into, on premise(bars, restaurants) or off premise(liquor stores, grocery stores), I ask this because merchandising/drink specials will play a large role for on premise sales.

I'm with c.n.budz on this one, in order to be as accurate as possible you will need more info then just the national ad campaigns and sales. You will need to look into local and regional campaigns, promotions, special offers and sales.

Back