BMC and lagers vs ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From a time and money standpoint, it seems like BMC would do better to mass produce ales instead of lagers. They would ferment for a shorter amount of time at a higher temperature.

Anyone know the reasoning behind BMC's strategy to primarily brew lagers?

probably because ales are a little heavier, and you can't drink as much at a time. 24 lagers? yep. 24 ales? maybe 7

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say its because for over 140 years, that's the beer they have brewed, and because they are not looking to save money by brewing that beer, contrary to popular beer snob belief.

BMC produces lagers because that's what sells. If you talk to most BMC drinkers, and ask them about ales, one of their first responses would be that they're "too filling," or "too heavy," even though they've probably never had one.

BMC produces lagers because that's what sells. If you talk to most BMC drinkers, and ask them about ales, one of their first responses would be that they're "too filling," or "too heavy," even though they've probably never had one.

I don't think many beer drinkers have any idea what the difference between ale and lager is.

It all comes down to the reason why the style was developed to begin with, the american populace wanted it over heavier ales and German Lagers. And still do.

I've posted this repeatedly. It should give you an idea. Plus it's got some good links.

revvy said:
America like most of the world had quite an extensive array of beers available prior to the German Invasion of brewer's which later introduced the light lager. They pretty much had the "brewing culture" of all the countries that people immigrated from...Most English beer styles..you know Porters, Stouts, Partigyles, stuff like that. As well as mostly heavy German Styles of beer. Not to mention people from Scotland, Ireland, Russia and other places where beer was drank.

Remember up until then, beer was food.

In fact thew whole history of the light lager is the American populace's (not the brewer's) desire to have a lighter beer to drink, which forced the German brewers to look at adding adjuncts like corn and rice...not as the popular homebrewer's myth has been to make money by peddling and "inferior commercial product" by adding adjuncts, but in order to come up with a style of beer that the American people wanted.

Maureen Ogle proved that in Ambitious Brew it actually made the cost of a bottle of Budweiser cost around 17.00/bottle in today's dollars. Gee I've paid 17 dollars for a bomber of beer before...not too much difference there, eh?

When AH released Budweiser with it's corn and rice adjuncts in the 1860's it was the most expensive beer out there; a single bottle retailed for $1.00 (what would equal in today's Dollars for $17.00) this was quite difference when a schooner of beer usually cost a nickel.

This is the part that blows the "cost cutting" argument out of the water. In order to use those adjuncts you have to process them separately from the rest of the mash, and then add it to the mash. You either have to do a cereal mash to pr-gelatinize them or you have to roll them with heat to make them flaked...either way, besides the labor and energy involved to grow and harvest those plants, you expend labor and energy to make them usuable. You have to boil them in a cereal mash. That's another couple hours of labor and energy involved in the cost of the product.

It wasn't done to save money, it was done because heavy beers (both english style Ales and the heavier Bavarian malty beers) were not being drunk by American consumers any more. Beer initally was seen around the world as food (some even called it liquid bread), but since America, even in the 1800's was a prosperous nation compared to the rest of the world, and americans ate meat with nearly every meal, heavy beers had fallen out of favor...

And American 6-row Barley just made for heavy, hazy beer.

The American populace ate it up!

The market WAS in a sense, craving light lagers...The German brewers didn't want to make the switch. They were perfectly happy with their bocks and all those other great heavy German Beers. But the rest of us weren't into it.

Bush and other German Brewers started looking at other styles of Beers, and came upon Karl Balling and Anton Schwartz's work at the Prague Polytechnic Institute with the Brewers in Bohemia who when faced with a grain shortage started using adjuncts, which produced the pils which was light, sparkly and fruity tasting...just the thing for American tastebuds.

So the brewers brought Schwartz to America where he went to work for American Brewer Magazine writing articles and technical monographs, teaching American brewers how to use Rice and Corn...

The sad moral of the story is....The big corporate brewers did not foist tasteless adjunct laced fizzy water on us, like the popular mythology all of us beersnobs like to take to bed with us to feel all warm and elitist....it was done because our American ancestors wanted it.

Blame your grandfather for having lousy taste in beer, NOT the brewers themselves. Like everything in business, they had to change or die.

Maureen Ogle's book Ambitious Brew is the best and most historically accurate of American Beer History books out there. I can't recommend it enough.

It a dose of reality. I used to believe the same stuff you all did until I read it. It's kinda humbling to realize we're NOT "the pawns of an evil corporate empire" after all.

ambitious-brew-the-story-of-american-beer-20802185.jpeg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0151010129/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Her blog archive has a lot of material covering the imbev takeover or Anheiseur Bush as well as stuff that didin't make it into here original book, so I encourage you to dig through that as well.

http://maureenogle.com/blog/

It clears up a lot of stuff like this, and busts a ton of myths like this one.

Listen to this from Basic Brewing;

November 30, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part One
We learn about the history of beer in the USA from Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part one takes us from the Pilgrims to Prohibition.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr11-30-06.mp3

December 7, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part Two
We continue our discussion about the history of beer in the USA with Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part two takes us from Prohibition to the present day.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr12-07-06.mp3

That's why I find the arguments the "bud basher's" like to use so amusing...It's so historically inaccurate. It really is our ancestor's fault that BL is the most popular beer in the world.

And they had choices back then as well. They didn't HAVE to drink that style, they chose too. ;)

That's why I'm so about, let folks like what they like, and WE like what we like, and there's plenty for ALL to go around.

And there's also plenty of passionatel beer geeks out there to share this stuff with and talk about this stuff with who understand. I have tons of beer geek friends and many of them I met through here. THOSE are the people I discuss the merits of this IPA with, not folks who have little or no interest in it.

Germelli also shared with me a decent term paper he wrote for a college class, that cover's somewhat it's rise in post prohibition america. But definitely check out Ogle's book and the podcasts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ogle also covers HOW the beer still maintained and continues to maintain such popularity, it mirrors in a lot of way the evolution of consumers tastes in general.

During the 40's was the rise of (sorry yoop) "girly beers" the light and ultra light style. Pretty much when the troops were over seas during wwII, they were too busy to drink beer. So they breweries started to experiment with beers women would like as well as marketing to them.

ballen73.jpg

Then Postwar America become a time of affluence, but it also became the time of "convenience food" instead of homecooking, the rise of frozen dinners and fast food (some folks would call that "pre-digested" food) which still goes on to this day. And the light lager is perfect for that. It's not "complex." It's sweet as opposed to bitter, it's light as opposed to heavy.

The irony of it has always been that even though the majority seems to favor "fast food" and "lite Beer" the postwar period also gave rise to "Chef/foodie Culture" and "Craft Beer" (actually it started as "imported" beer, but broadened in the 70's to 80's to the craft beer scene) all the troops overseas were exposed to the foods of the world (including Pizza, French cuisine and Chinese Food) and when they came back many of them had a hunger for those foods rather than boring American food and Kraft dinners, and they parlayed their GI bills into chef training and the rise of gourmet restaraunts and to a lesser extent craft beer. Before craft beer there were "imported" beers including Guinness, that managed to stay in the american market place more than likely sustained by folks who had tasted those things overseas. Not just during the war, but also in the re-building phases in the 50's and 60's on.

My vintage beer ads thread, kinda shows an evolution/history of beer and how it was viewed in the US, through the ads that were around.

Sorry if it has been explained already, but can't forget that ale used to be the favorite beer among early colonists until the war against Britain. People were so angry they literally took all the barrels of ale they could find and smash it. Also to mention the transition from rum to whiskey during these times. So the German immigrants with their lager recipes became Favorited. Now what I don't understand is when WW2 came about the general populace was angry at any and all Germans so was lagered beer Americanized enough that people didn't have the same ideals as previous generations?

Both ABInBev and MillerCoors brew Bohemian-style (American-style) lagers because of their traditional German brewing roots. Anheuser, Adolphus, Adolph and Frederick all were German/Prussian natives that came to America and brewed the traditional Bohemian lager. Since this style has basically taken over the brewing industry in America...48.3% of the market share for ABInBev and 20% for MillerCoors, the craft brewing scene, made up of over 1500 breweries share around 30% of the market. With that being said, why on Earth would a company that has set it's foundation and earned the trust of such a huge market begin to steer away from the clean and crisp lager style brews that have become their flagship brand. Yes, ales are more flavorful, and us craft brew enthusiasts always want to point the finger at BMC drinkers and blame them for supporting "the man". You know what, it's their choice to drink BMC, and I bet 90% of homebrewtalk members drink BMC from time to time....hell PBR will always have a place in my heart, despite being owned by MillerCoors. Truth is, BMC is good at what they do, selling beer. Regardless of what us craft breweres think about them, the brewing industry is a business, and a business that they have become giants in. Give them a little slack and just admit for once that hey, they delivered a product that the majority of America enjoys....just deal with it. BMC drinkers and craft drinkers UNITE!!!

Back