American Pale Ale Bluegrass Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grassafrass

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
White Labs Burtons Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
5-6
Original Gravity
@ 1.045
Final Gravity
varies
Boiling Time (Minutes)
90 minutes
Color
Golden
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 (optional)
Tasting Notes
Sweet and Malty with fruity finish... great summer beer.
8oz Honey Malt milled
4oz Crystal 20L milled
White Labs Burtons Ale Yeast
6lbs of Pale Malt Extract (Amber or Munich also work nicely)
1oz Amarillo Hop Pellets
1oz Ahtanum Hop Pellets

Bring water to boil - Turn Off
Steep grains for 30-45 minutes until wort is Orange and "milky" -
Return to boil - Turn Off
Add Malt Extract - Stir until completely dissolved -
Return to Boil -
Add Amarillo Hops - Low Boil for 30 minutes -
Add Ahtanum Hops - Low Boil for 15 minutes -

Burtons Ale yeast does best around 76F.
5 Days in fermenter - rack to secondary fermenter for another 5 days.
Bottle or Keg and age 3 weeks before drinking.
I have found this beer is better when it's carbonated with priming sugar, rather than force carbonated with CO2.
If this beer is too light for your taste, you can add .25oz of malto dextrin. This will give the beer more body and mouthfeel.

This recipe should cost you about $30-35.
I go to AustinHombrew.com

ArtsAles brewed this up and brought it to my wedding... this was the first keg to float. Very good brew!

I'm still a relative newbie with only a handful of brews under my belt and I've got a quick question regarding this recipe (even though this post is 2 years old). I'm in a smallish town and the closest homebrew shop (Austin Homebrew) is 200 miles away. Unfortunately, they won't ship LME. Everything else being equal, could I substitute Light DME for the Pale Malt extract?

Any input here is appreciated.

Thanks!

LME is always more than DME. I've seen conversions using 1.25 and 1.33. I've used 1.33 so, 3lbs dme = 4 lbs lme...and 6lbs LME = 4.5lbs DME. You can do a google seach on "LME to DME conversion" or "LME to DME calculator" and get many hits

I'm still a relative newbie with only a handful of brews under my belt and I've got a quick question regarding this recipe (even though this post is 2 years old). I'm in a smallish town and the closest homebrew shop (Austin Homebrew) is 200 miles away. Unfortunately, they won't ship LME. Everything else being equal, could I substitute Light DME for the Pale Malt extract?

Thanks!

What do you mean they wont ship LME? I just got the Apocalyso kit last week and it had LME. Who told you they wont ship LME?

Hmm. On second glance it just says "We no longer are able to ship malt extract, honey, corn syrup, or liquids by USPS". Maybe they just send it fed ex instead.

Will keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the advice.

My LHBS is sold out of Ahtanum and wont be getting any in for quite some time. I've been advised to substitute with either Columbus or another oz. of Amarillo. What are your thoughts/recommendations?

DMartin said:
My LHBS is sold out of Ahtanum and wont be getting any in for quite some time. I've been advised to substitute with either Columbus or another oz. of Amarillo. What are your thoughts/recommendations?

Columbus is not a sub for Ahtanum, Cascade is as close as your going to get to Ahtanum.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk

I appreciate the advice, but that was a while ago; this beer is already in bottles. I went with 100% Amarillo and it turned out quite nicely.

I finally got around to brewing this but after reading about the differences between lme and dme I may have a beer that is too light. I went with lme and didn't realize that I needed to up the quantity. Will this turn out extremely bad if I only used 6# of lme?

You should be ok, it'll still be beer. Did you happen to take an OG reading before starting fermentation?

Also, what stage are you at right now? If you're in primary you might be able to boost it by boiling a small amount of water (a qt or so I'd guess), mix in 1lb DME, and toss that sucker in. Just a thought.

my brew shop is out of burtons ale yeast. would S-04 or S-05 work for it?

also I didn't see in the opening post. are you using 6 lbs of DME or 6 lb's of LME?????

Use the S-05 or some Nottingham for best results.

The OP is long gone, but the consensus seems to be that the original recipe meant LME. I used 5# of DME in this recipe with excellent results.

Thanks!
Northern Brewer or Midwest supplies ship pretty much all types of brewing supply's

Northern Brewer and Midwest Supplies ship everything from beer to wine making supplies

Back