Bluebonnet Brewoff 2021

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oleson M.D.

Reaction score
Call it being lucky, but we were awarded two 1st Place awards, and one 3rd Place award at this year's Bluebonnet.
Yes, we were shocked when the announcements were made!

Munich Helles - 1st Place
Oktoberfest - 1st Place
English Porter - 3rd Place

Amazing that nearly 4,000 bottles of beer were in the competition! From states as far away as Florida, Illinois, Nevada, etc.

P1050989.JPG

This post is to encourage all of you brewers, and to motivate you to enter in a competition. It is a great learning experience. And you never know...you might take home a trophy!

Congrats on the win! Out of curiosity, are you affiliated with any particular club?

I had fun helping with the judging this year. It's actually helped my brewing quite a bit.

Congrats on the win! Out of curiosity, are you affiliated with any particular club?

I had fun helping with the judging this year. It's actually helped my brewing quite a bit.

Thank you! No, not a club. But My brewing partner and I call our brewery "Bel Air Brewing". Had custom tap handles made, with a logo with an aviation theme (we are airline pilots).

The DFW Sheraton is already sold out for next year's event!

My plan is to take a BJCP course this summer, in hopes of learning how to improve my beer, and do better in competitions.
P1050982.JPG

P1050645.JPG

Really? The event usually reserves a block of rooms at a discounted rate. I've not seen this info communicated personally. Never seen things sold out so far in advance. But then never seen the event canceled two years in a row due to a "pandemic" either... If so, I live close enough Uber! :bigmug:

Last edited:
Really? The event usually reserves a block of rooms at a discounted rate. I've not seen this info communicated personally. Never seen things sold out so far in advance. But then never seen the event cancleed two years in a row due to a "pandemic" either... If so, I live close enough Uber! :bigmug:

Yes, I know! The hotel has no rooms! I have a room for Saturday night at the DFW Sheraton, but Friday is sold out. Got a room for Friday across the street at the Westin DFW.

Try to book a room, maybe you will have better luck!

Guys, the BBO committee has not even acquired the block of rooms yet. I'll be at the monthly club meeting for the North Texas Home Brewer's Association tonight and I'll get reliable information and post tonight or tomorrow. You can't even enter or register until about January. Our club is one of the supporting clubs for this competition.
Congrats on the win, I got a third place for my Barleywine. I metal almost every year. The BBO is a blast. This was my biggest win, third best beer out of 1300.
IMG_20180325_162524505.jpg

Guys, the BBO committee has not even acquired the block of rooms yet. I'll be at the monthly club meeting for the North Texas Home Brewer's Association tonight and I'll get reliable information and post tonight or tomorrow. You can't even enter or register until about January. Our club is one of the supporting clubs for this competition.
Congrats on the win, I got a third place for my Barleywine. I metal almost every year. The BBO is a blast. This was my biggest win, third best beer out of 1300.View attachment 725596

That's what I was thinking... Thanks for the update!

And FWIW, I've only brought home medals twice.
One gold and it's stein for a milk stout and one silver for an IPA.
It's a tough competition... Lots of good beer.

I hate to tell everyone this, but the DFW Sheraton is SOLD OUT on March 18, 2022 (Friday).

Sold Out

Dates Flexible?

View availability

The above is directly from their website.

Hotels & Resorts | Book your Hotel directly with Marriott Bonvoy

edit: I just got off the phone with the hotel. They are sold out...completely on this date. And there is no record of rooms blocked for the Bluebonnet Brewoff, the American Homebrewer's, or any other brewing group.

Last edited:
I hate to tell everyone this, but the DFW Sheraton is SOLD OUT on March 18, 2022 (Friday).

Sold Out

Dates Flexible?

View availability

The above is directly from their website.

Hotels & Resorts | Book your Hotel directly with Marriott Bonvoy

edit: I just got off the phone with the hotel. They are sold out...completely on this date. And there is no record of rooms blocked for the Bluebonnet Brewoff, the American Homebrewer's, or any other brewing group.
You are correct! I just spoke to the front desk and got the same info. I'll bring this up tonight but I'm sure it will be the main topic.

Ok I spoke with a club member that handles all the data entry and web interface. The dates for the BBO are not yet determined, nothing is finalized yet except the hotel. We never block off any rooms this early so don't worry just wait a bit and have a homebrew.

Ok I spoke with a club member that handles all the data entry and web interface. The dates for the BBO are not yet determined, nothing is finalized yet except the hotel. We never block off any rooms this early so don't worry just wait a bit and have a homebrew.

This is good to know. However my inside source said the dates were determined, being Friday - Saturday, March 18 through 19, 2022.

This info was sought out so my team could make hotel reservations.

edit: No names here, but my source is at the top of the BBO "food chain".

Thanks! We are looking forward to next year, and have made hotel reservations!
I'm sure that lightning can't strike twice!

My typical brew is a Euro-Lager style. But have been experimenting with Imperial Stout, and Barley Wine.

Nice, as you can see from my signature, Euro lagers are pretty much my jam and 80% of what I brew. Winning at big comp like BlueBonnet is definitely an accomplishment. Think besides Nationals, it's one of if not the biggest ones out there. Largest comp I have medaled in, besides several first round NHC ones, is Drunk Monk in Chicago and that was only like 630 entries. Did take first this weekend with a German Pils at Boot Brew Fest in Louisiana, but that was only 200+ and only 15 entries in my category. Missed out on BlueBonnet this year as I think registration was full in a day or 2.

The people I spoke with are also at the top of the food chain. The dates at this point are not fixed. We always shoot for the third weekend but it has shifted when necessary. Also, the BBO always has a large block of rooms dedicated to the event which has a code. You should use this code to get your discount and the BBO gets the credit and this helps the Bluebonnet Brew Off. I would be cautious about reserving a room this far in advance but you can always cancel.

I'm a Marriott Rewards member, so the rooms are booked with points. I can cancel anytime.

If the dates are not set, when will we know so we can make plans? Some of my team are bidding around their work schedule, including vacation bidding specially for this event.

It's like the annual AirVenture Airshow in Oshkosh...to get a car and hotel, you book one year in advance.

I'm a Marriott Rewards member, so the rooms are booked with points. I can cancel anytime.

If the dates are not set, when will we know so we can make plans? Some of my team are bidding around their work schedule, including vacation bidding specially for this event.

It's like the annual AirVenture Airshow in Oshkosh...to get a car and hotel, you book one year in advance.
Keep checking the BBO link for the 2022 event. I know the deadline for registration and entries is late January. I'll stay on top of it and post to this thread as soon as I know. Our club always sends emails to all members. I also volunteer for odd jobs and I run the cigar clinic. Don't worry have a homebrew.

Thank you! No, not a club. But My brewing partner and I call our brewery "Bel Air Brewing". Had custom tap handles made, with a logo with an aviation theme (we are airline pilots).

My plan is to take a BJCP course this summer, in hopes of learning how to improve my beer, and do better in competitions.
View attachment 725533

View attachment 725534

the Logo and taps are veryyyy nice.

the center of the logo could do without the wings and look less busy, regardless i love it. just my overly picky 2c.

great job on the wins, i really want to get into some comps again soon.

the Logo and taps are veryyyy nice.

the center of the logo could do without the wings and look less busy, regardless i love it. just my overly picky 2c.

great job on the wins, i really want to get into some comps again soon.

Thanks. The logo design evolved over time, with input from friends. The wings were actually cut down, as they did not fit. This was the design that won everyone’s vote.

The tap handles came from Marc Supik, a family owned business. Not expensive at all.

The logo and beer labels are high quality vinyl, and came from Aerographics in Loveland, CO. They made the vinyl graphics for my airplane also!

very very cool. Is Marc Supik the name of the business?

what type of airplane do you own? A aircraft theme brewery would be very neat to see one day.

very very cool. Is Marc Supik the name of the business?

what type of airplane do you own? A aircraft theme brewery would be very neat to see one day.

https://www.marksupikco.com/beertaps
My aircraft is a P-51D Mustang (replica), a WWII Fighter Aircraft. Note the lettering and vinyl. Very high quality! I figure if these will stick to my plane at 250 mph, they will stay put on my tap handles!
P1050728.JPG

0856AF63-BD26-4EED-875E-9A71EB2BACA4.jpg

P1050841-001.JPG

Thanks! It’s a replica of the iconic P-51, the plane that literally won the war in Europe. Mine is from the 3rd Fighter Squadron, 3rd Fighter Group, 5th Air Force, Mindoro, P.I., 1944.

The vinyl is first class, and that’s why we chose Aerographics to make our tap handle labels. They can and will make anything custom just for you!

Back