Blueberry wine yeast smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrose

Reaction score
This is my first from scratch attempt at wine making . I have made many kits with great results!
Question. My blueberry wine SG is stuck at 1.002 i have tried to restart it with a booster but no luck so after 2 weeks i racked it to a new carboy
The SG is still at 1.002 . I have put clearing liquid in and the wine is crystal clear and tastes really good
but has a smell of yeast . I have waited 2 weeks with it in the carboy and it still has some yeast smell although not quite as bad as before.
Is it ok to wait until the smell goes away completely or can i go ahead and bottle it . Will the smell go away with time in the bottle ?

It never hurts to bulk age it a while. I would wait to see if the yeast smell goes away before bottling it. Does if have a taste of yeast too or only a little smell? If your intent is to bottle I would still kill the yeast even though fermentation has stopped on its own. It could start again later. I was surprised with a carbonated wine on a batch I didn't kill prior to bottling.
Personally I would wait a couple months before bottling. See if you get any more sediment and the yeast smell fades away.

No taste of yeast , just the smell .
Can bulk aging it at room temperature harm the wine?
Or should i move it to my basement where it is cooler?

Ops, missed that this was a double post!

Bulk aging at room temp is fine. I do that all the time.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I don't know that temp. makes a huge difference. I prefer a cool dark place for mine.
I would kill the yeast now and see if you get any more sediment while it ages. I usually get a dusting on the bottom of my carboys even after racking once.

I use Camden tablet per gallon and Potassium Sorbate. I have had secondary fermentation start when I just used the Camden tablet.

Regarding the last post I take it you use a Camden tablet when you've racked from primary to secondary and just put it into the secondary Vessel be it a tub or a Carboy

Just checked my carboy today by removing the airlock and smelling the wine , the smell do not seem to be as strong but i did notice that the wine is
Still releasing a tiny bit of co2 . when i replaced the airlock i could see bubbles moving through it.
So i guess it may still be fermenting a small bit.

Blueberry wine just makes me think of Parks and Rec.

Ron-Swanson-Gives-In-To-the-Blue-Spectrum-Of-Blueberry-Wine-On-Parks-and-Recreation.jpg

I saw in your post above that the SG was 1.002 and was stuck. I happen to like a lot of my fruit wines at 1.002 but I usually decide by taste where I want to finish it at. You seemed to say that it is now fermenting again. If your happy with the taste by all means add the Camden and sorbate now. If you want it dryer let it continue. The lower the SG the slower it will ferment. My primary is a 5 gallon bucket and I don't seal it or have an airlock on it. When I move it to secondary SG about 1.020 (a sealed carboy with airlock) you can easily see if its still fermenting. Even one bubble a minute is evidence of some fermentation. When your ready to stop fermentation, crush the Camden tablet (1 per gallon) and stir for several minutes. You want it fully dissolved. Add 1/2 tsp. potassium sorbate per gallon. It dissolves much better but still stir it well and airlock again. Even if your wine is clear you will probably see some sedimentation over the next month or two. If there is still yeast in there fermenting it will die and settle out.

When the potassium sorbate kills the yeast dose that mean that the yeast smell disappear after a month or so when it settels .

Just a fyi. Campton stuns wild yeast. Wine yeast is not bothered by it. Sorbate just keeps yeast from reproducing, it will keep fermenting.
Used together after the wine has fermented dry and cleared, should keep it from starting to referment after backsweetening. But only if all or the vast majority of the wine yeast has gone dorment.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Back