blueberry stout...question about racking on blueberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewguy82

Reaction score
So I intend on splitting a small 2.5gallon batch of oatmeal stout and racking half of it on top of some frozen blueberries and also adding blueberry flavoring. The question is with the blueberries should I putthem in a pan and add a lil water and boil them a little bit? First time racking onto fruit. Only have about 12oz of blueberries to use might use less. Just want to see how I will like a blueberry stout vs just my oatmeal stout.

brewguy82 said:
So I intend on splitting a small 2.5gallon batch of oatmeal stout and racking half of it on top of some frozen blueberries and also adding blueberry flavoring. The question is with the blueberries should I putthem in a pan and add a lil water and boil them a little bit? First time racking onto fruit. Only have about 12oz of blueberries to use might use less. Just want to see how I will like a blueberry stout vs just my oatmeal stout.

#1. I'd skip the extract and use the real thing. Extracts usually give a fake "candy" or cough syrup taste.
#2. Don't heat the berries, just freeze them for a day, then rack onto them. The freezing will kill off any nasties and will help break the cell walls of the fruit.
#3. I don't think 12 oz. will be enough to notice, esp. in a stout. If it were me, I'd start with at least 2.5# of berries...maybe more.
Good luck, and let us know how it turned out. (This is assuming you meant adding berries to 2.5 gallons of the stout, not 1.25 gallons.

Ok. For the 1.25 gallon, i'd still try to rack onto at least 2# of berries. Remember, stout has a rather strong taste, so you'll need a lot of berries to stand up to that taste. Please keep us posted on your results.

Going to be doing this today. Finally found the time between the wife and the baby (whi is sleeping right now)

Back