Blueberry saison advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
I'm brewing a saison this weekend. I'm using the same grist I used last year for a raspberry saison:

11 Pils
1 Vienna
1 Wheat
WY3711

Plan is to rack onto blueberries after primary (just like I did with the raspberries). The raspberry was one of the best beers I've done. I was planning on having this one for the bottle share/tasting at my wedding in April. I wanted to do blueberries because, well, I love blueberries, I've never done a beer with them, and I could aptly name it "Something Blue." But I've recently read that the blueberry flavors fades significantly. Have any of you ever experienced this? Any other avenues I could travel to retain some blueberry flavor? I typically steer clear of concentrates because I feel like they all have a chemical/medicinal/manufactured flavor to them.

You may not have the same level of success with blueberries as you had with raspberries. Due to low sugar content and strong flavor, raspberries don't change much post-fermentation. Blueberries have a more delicate flavor and rely on sugar content to taste right. I would either use blueberry extract on this one, either on its own or in addition to fresh blueberries. My guess is you won't get much from the fresh blueberries other than being able to tell people that they're in there.

You may not have the same level of success with blueberries as you had with raspberries. Due to low sugar content and strong flavor, raspberries don't change much post-fermentation. Blueberries have a more delicate flavor and rely on sugar content to taste right. I would either use blueberry extract on this one, either on its own or in addition to fresh blueberries. My guess is you won't get much from the fresh blueberries other than being able to tell people that they're in there.

Thanks for the heads up. After doing more research on it, I think I've decided on doing that. I'm going to ferment the 5 gallon batch, then split it into two equal 2.5 gal secondaries. I'm going to put one half on an assload of fresh frozen blueberries, and put a heaping amount of the canned blueberry puree on the second one. I figure this will give me three separate options. And I hypothesize that my best flavor will be back blending the two to my tastes. Sound like a solid plan?

Thanks for the heads up. After doing more research on it, I think I've decided on doing that. I'm going to ferment the 5 gallon batch, then split it into two equal 2.5 gal secondaries. I'm going to put one half on an assload of fresh frozen blueberries, and put a heaping amount of the canned blueberry puree on the second one. I figure this will give me three separate options. And I hypothesize that my best flavor will be back blending the two to my tastes. Sound like a solid plan?

Should work. I might still hold some blueberry flavor extract in reserve at bottling time though if you need a flavor boost:

https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/blueberry-flavoring-5-gallon

@xuledywo - Of those options, I would add at flameout. But my usual preference is to add after primary fermentation slows down. I will also sometimes puree the fruit and soak in a compatible type of alcohol before adding.

Latest posts

Back