Blueberry not so blueberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffee49

Reaction score
So In Sept '21 I fired up a Blueberry juice. Using1118 yeast everything was going at normal pace, 1st rack in Oct. 2nd rack Feb. Bottled in July '22, the Blueberry was non existent, tasted like a concord blend, will the Blueberry come out in spring '23 or am I going to try another Blueberry juice in Sept. '22 and cross my fingers

What was your recipe? Was it 100% blueberry juice? When you taste the juice, does it taste like fresh blueberries? Did you add any water? Usually low fruit flavor is due to using too much water and not enough fruit/juice.

The juice was from a fruit and juice farm, tasted sweet when i pitched the 1118, I back sweetened it prior to bottling. It was still a bit early, these darn juices take 18 months from start to finish, my catawba from there had a good taste when bottled but also needed to mature 6 more months, retail wine is priced outrageous, I have 10 bottles of 2019 reisling and 30 bottles left from kits to get me through till fall, cross my fingers on the bb.

If it was pure blueberry juice and you did not add any water there should be a solid blueberry flavor.

I have shifted away from using 1118 because it tends to strip away the fruit flavor.

No water was added, i believe hot paks are probably the way to go for fruit juice wines,I am going to do some research into yeast strains, this is another subject that could benefit a wine maker. Thanks

Back