blue super-sil heater hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradleyj00

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Blichmann top tier system, and I've been struggling with fittings, configurations, hoses, etc. It's a great system; it's just down to me to get a comfort level with modular setup.

I recently purchased some blue super-sil heater hose to connect my HLT to the mashtun, and then from the mashtun to the boiler. The retailer insisted it would be food safe simply because it was made of silicone. My options were few, so I went for it. Just thought I'd run it by the group to see if anyone has any experience with this. I intend to try it, but if there's something I should be aware of, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jim

If it's automotive heater hose it's probably 5/8". I know it's silicone, but I have no idea if it's food safe,

It's half inch ID. I should mention that I just received an email back from Thermoid, and they recommended the hose should not be used for this application. So, I guess there's my answer.

Thanks.

Well...the manufacturer will definitely tell you that if that's not how they intend it to be used. I can tell you this though, you're much better off using that tubing vs. vinyl or PVC tubing...that stuff leaches bigtime when heated. It LOOKS like the inner tubing is silicone....if so, it should be okay. The inner braid is polyester, so as long as your wort doesn't touch that, it's probably okay.

If you run near-boiling water through the tubing for 30 mins or so, you should be able to get a lot of the chemicals left behind from manufacturing.

If you're REALLY worried about it, invest in some semi-opaque silicone tubing which is food grade.

I use this stuff: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/1-2-id-thermoplastic-tubing.html

NB seems to have the best deal on it per foot, although if you dig you can find retailers who will sell you a whole spool (50 ft) at a better price shipped. That said, I didn't need 50 feet for my new 2-tier blichmann setup, I only needed 25 feet. Also recommend (if you haven't already gotten them) going with some sort of quick disconnects, either the stainless camlocks or polysulfone QDs.

Go on eBay, there's a supplier of silicone hose that's food grade "nybrewsupply" or some such, prices (AND shipping) are by far the most reasonable I've found, I just ordered some.

Back