Blue-raspberry slow and steady.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocochoco

Reaction score
So I'm making a blueberry raspberry wine with a completely new recipe I just kinda came up with. Its been close to 2 months and it's still fermenting in primary.
I haven't checked the current Ph although I suspect its real low considering blueberry drops in points pretty drastically in primary.
I'm not complaining about the slow ferment. The flavors are gonna stay in the wine. What I'd like to know, if the Ph is less than 3.2 as I suspect, would this benefit the profile if I used MLF to raise the Ph?
I do a Black and Blueberry typically every year but completely different step process and I lysozyme it to prevent MLF as I would with an apple wine as I prefer the sour apple like bite that malic acid brings to the profile.
Posting my notes next.

24 oz raspberries
240 oz blueberries
4 cups sugar
1 cambden tablet
1 tsp citric acid
Pectic enzyme
Nutrient blend
Red Star Premier Classique
1 1/2 gallons purified water
Funnel
1 gallon carboy
Thermometer
Bung
Airlock
Stainless pots

I began a starter of half a pint of purified, lightly sugared water and 1 packet of Premier Classique Red Star red wine yeast.

I crushed all berries and collected everything in to a large stainless pot with 1 1/2 gallons purified water.

I then brought it to a full boil, stirring every 5 minutes, and stopped once it began to boil. I let it cool for 10 minutes.

I then stirred and strained it through a pasta strainer into a stainless pot and further strained out the raspberry seeds with a cap strainer.

I then let it sit covered for 3 hours while running errands after which I further strained the heavier pulp out of must with pantyhose attached to a funnel.

I added it back in to a clean stainless pot and added 4 cups of sugar

I brought it back up to just before boil while stirring frequently and I let it cool for an hour with sanitized aluminum foil covering the pot. (Had more errands)

I then poured it back and forth from a few feet into sanitized stainless pots 10 times to aerate.

Afterwards I poured it in to sanitized carboy with a sanitized funnel.

I added 1 crushed cambden tablet and the mfg. recommended amount of yeast nutrient blend (WYeast), 5 drops liquid pectic enzyme, stuck on an airlock and let it sit for 40 hours. I then pitched the yeast starter.

I added tartaric acid on day 4. I also added 1 extra dose of nutrient as the fermentation was slow.

23AUG2020
Bubbling slowed to 1 per 60 seconds. Added 1/4tsp yeast nutrient which brought it up to 1 per 10 seconds

03SEP2020
Still bubbling along at 1 per 10 seconds

(Yes I know I did extra uneccesary work lol)

Last edited:
Also to note. I always ferment at 70 degrees F in a dark pantry room area with no sun.

Ok just took a PH reading. It is at PH 2.7 and almost finished.
Its really good to the taste.
Nobody has an opinion maybe on blueberry or rasperry wine that can benefit from MLF or should I inhibit it with lysosime?

Ok just took a PH reading. It is at PH 2.7 and almost finished.
Its really good to the taste.
Nobody has an opinion maybe on blueberry or rasperry wine that can benefit from MLF or should I inhibit it with lysosime?
I have just started a raspberry wine and the first thing I’ve noticed is a fairly yucky smell emanating from the airlock. It does not smell fun or tasty AT ALL. Any similar experience fermenting with raspberries?

Back