Blue Moon in cans.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dkmount721

Reaction score
Yeah so I am on vacation in Florida (from Texas). I am cruising through the beer section of the local grocer (Publix) and decide to grab a six of some BMC swill (Blue Moon winter abbey ale) and I see Blue Moon in a can 12 packs.

Point of the story is it's weird how that surprised me. I have never seen Blue Moon in a can. Didn't even know it existed. I guess it doesn't matter much, but I don't think we get the cans in Texas. I wonder why?

:mug:

Is that a new variety? I had never heard of it before. I am talking about the Abbey Ale, not in the cans.

The Abbey ale is ok. I was rather limited at the time. It uses a little darker malt and some candi sugar. IS the difference very obvious, you might ask? I don't think so. It's Blue Moon. It is what it is.

I don't notice any hang overish effects with just a couple down the gullet, and honestly thats about all I drink at a time.

They came out with the cans earlier this year. I know we grabbed a couple 12 packs when we were camping in the spring. Its kind of nice since a lot of places wont allow glass.

I carry the 12 pack Blue Moon cans at the store I work at. They run $15-16. They're not really a hot seller so I'm going to discontinue them and maybe bring them back in the spring or summer.

surprised more places don't do cans, seems cheaper for them, and they can claim to be green.. like new belgium with their fat tire in a can. and oskar blues is all in can.

we all pour it into a glass anyway.. so who cares what it comes in.

Love blue moon, It was my first white beer!....To bad we cant get it in Canada.

What does BMC stand for? help a noob out!

Love blue moon, It was my first white beer!....To bad we cant get it in Canada.

What does BMC stand for? help a noob out!

BMC = BudMillerCoors = mass-produced industrial/factory beers.

Funny, I always just assumed the BMC= Beers for Mass Consumption. It can be interpreted 2 ways: beers that the masses consume, or, beers that you consume in mass quantities. Either way, it implies your basic yellow, lawn mower beer with little flavor (or Bud/Miller/Coors). :)

To the original poster:

I see that you're from beer hell too. Ever thought of starting up a brew pub around here? This place needs something!!

Oh yeah, I've never seen Blue Moon in the cans either. I had a 6 of BM Winter Abbey Ale last month...thought it was ok. I like Sam Adams' Winter Lager better.

I also semi-like the taste of Blue moon but there is a weird slight but persistent off flavor that makes me stay away. Hoagaarden is the king of Belgian white beers in my book.

eh I saw this at kroger a couple of months ago, couldnt believe it, had to take a picture
img1522k.jpg

Yeah so I am on vacation in Florida

I was over in Florida a month or so back and went to the store to buy some beer to sip on the beach. Since glass isn't allowed on the beach I had to limit my selection to cans. All the store had in cans were basic american light lagers heineken, and modelo. I'd have killed for some Blue Moon in cans and I don't really ever drink it.

I am an advocate of canned craft brew. Zero chance of light oxidization. I think they are a great idea.

HA it's the Brewmaster's can it says on the box... What the heck does that really mean.

So far as Hoegaarden being owned by InBev at least it started off as an independent brewery, and was purchased. Apparently it ended up with the operations staying there and more money being funnelled into the operation.

I don't know what to say about Blue Moon brewing. Uh good in a pinch! heh.

Hell Unibroue got bought out by Sleeman and the Sapporo. But let me tell you I will stand by Unibroue as long as that product keeps coming out as good as it is.

I saw these at a my local store too. I pulled a double take lol. I enjoy blue moon on occasion but i think it would feel like I was drinking Coors light if i had it in a can. : /

Had Blue Moon in a bottle a couple of weeks ago at a christmas party, had only ever had it on tap prior to that, it was awful. I can't imagine cans being much better.

In a can? No thank you! There is something about buying cans that turns me off. On top of that I too didn't know Blue Moon was even sold in cans. I haven't tried their Abbey Ale but today I did pick up a pack of Bell's Winter White. Great beer.

Blue Moon gives me headaches.

I got really hung over after drinking it a little while back. Some random company was having an event at a bar a buddy and I were at and we wound up getting all this free beer via my friend attempting to hit on one of the women and me playing wingman.

The next day suuucked.

In a can? No thank you! There is something about buying cans that turns me off. .

This is the prejudice everyone needs to get over. Cans are far superior to bottles when it comes to packaging, but since Bud/Miller/Coors Light are sold in cans by the billions we are programed to assume whatever is in a can is ****.

Zero light penetration, minimal head space, wont shatter, much easier to handle if your the brewer, and much less expensive. Not to mention stackable and allowed by the pool or sports venue.

This is the prejudice everyone needs to get over. Cans are far superior to bottles when it comes to packaging, but since Bud/Miller/Coors Light are sold in cans by the billions we are programed to assume whatever is in a can is ****.

Zero light penetration, minimal head space, wont shatter, much easier to handle if your the brewer, and much less expensive. Not to mention stackable and allowed by the pool or sports venue.

I wouldn't argue against cans having their own pros, it's just a preference. For some reason I just enjoy using a bottle opener to crack open a nice, weighty, dangerous piece of glass. I even preferred it when I was able to easily find Coke in glass bottles not long ago. It's all about presentation for me on this one.

Carboys are a different story.

Yeah +1 to Desert Sky. Cans are the way to go.

Cans are just a vehicle for me. I don't drink out of the container beer comes in.

And I can understand where SkylerChBro is coming from. My bottle programming isn't completely gone, but I would like to see more craft in cans.

Don't read the previous sentence as implication that Blue Moon is craft. :p

Hoagaarden is was also bought out by Budwieser, and may eventually come in cans.

Its been in cans for years along with many others>
Big cans

Small cans

So far as Hoegaarden being owned by InBev at least it started off as an independent brewery, and was purchased. Apparently it ended up with the operations staying there and more money being funnelled into the operation.

Little history>
< After a fire in 1985, as is traditional in Belgium, several brewers offered their help. One of these was the largest brewer in the country, called Interbrew (after a merger with AmBev, renamed InBev). Interbrew lent money for the purchase of other buildings to rebuild the brewery. Over time, Celis felt very strongly that the company used the loan to pressure him to change the recipe to make the beer more "mass market".

<whats easier than to change the recipes to pinch a few euros>

surprised more places don't do cans, seems cheaper for them, and they can claim to be green.. like new belgium with their fat tire in a can. and oskar blues is all in can.

we all pour it into a glass anyway.. so who cares what it comes in.

How is a can greener? Seems to me that cans are one use only, and as far as I know some of the major breweries still reuse their glass. Is this false?

And BTW, (B)udweiser(M)iller(C)oors

I disagree in almost all cases. Unless there is a difference between the can vs. bottle like with Young's double chocolate stout, the can is nitro and the bottle CO2, I prefer bottles.

If there was a 12er in cans and a 12er in re-capable bottles for the same or nearly the same price, the cans will get passed up every time by me. SWMBO feels the same way.

I can not see to get a good pour from a can or how much is left. I can not see if a bee flies into it during the summer when I wasn't looking...(I camp/fish ALOT and this has happened to me. NOT FUN.)

I save used bottle caps for future projects, like kegerator magnets and mosaic table tops. I also get to reuse the bottles and not just for beer, the ones with painted on labels get the tops cut off to be used as glasses.

vs.

Cans that get crushed and sit in a bag waiting for me to "cash them in", sticky and stinky most of the time. (Ya it is overflowing ATM)

There is also a semi-silent wine-in-the-box revolution going on as well. I will never spend MY money on wine that does not have a cork...ever. It may be the best wine in the entire universe and I will probably never buy it if it is in a box...

How is a can greener? Seems to me that cans are one use only, and as far as I know some of the major breweries still reuse their glass. Is this false?

And BTW, (B)udweiser(M)iller(C)oors

Re-usable glass bottles are almost non-existent these days. Aluminum is one of the most efficient forms of waste to recycle, and its recycling rate by far surpasses glass in the U.S.

There is also a semi-silent wine-in-the-box revolution going on as well. I will never spend MY money on wine that does not have a cork...ever. It may be the best wine in the entire universe and I will probably never buy it if it is in a box...

You might want to check out clay pots if you are in such steadfast support of inferior packaging simply for the sake of tradition.

Haven't found these here in town, and none of my local stores have it on their order lists either. Looks like I'm stuck with bottles for now. Not that this is a bad thing. This means more bottles for homebrew.

:off:

You might want to check out clay pots if you are in such steadfast support of inferior packaging simply for the sake of tradition.

I dislike wine anyways in almost all instances...lol. I would rather buy wine in a clay pot than a box. I like the cork, the sound it makes when popping the bottle open and smelling the cork/bouquet. Then I like to WRAP the bottle to allow it to breathe for a few hours or chill it in the wine chiller. A box does none of these things and it does not fit in a wine rack or chiller. Not to mention, SWMBO saves wine bottles and mom reuses them for her home brewed wines...

I also see "pocket shots" which are booze shooters in a plastic bag. I laugh like hell @ them every time I walk past them. They are in the checkout line of a local liquor store...I will never buy these either...

I am also pretty sure neither the box or the bag are recyclable so they take up space in a land fill and are NEVER reused...

From oskar blues website
"Unlike beer cans of the past, today’s aluminum can and its lid are lined with a water-based coating. Beer and metal never touch and there is no exchange of flavor.

Aluminum can keeps beer fresher for longer by fully eliminating the damages of light and ingressed oxygen.

Lightweight cans enable Oskar Blues to reduce its fuel costs and carbon footprint for shipped beer by 35%.

Highly portable, unbreakable cans enable craft beer lovers to easily enjoy great beer in places where glass bottles are not welcome or allowed: the beach, pool, boat, trail, river, slope, tub, golf course, backpack and others.

Cans are the most easily and frequently recycled beverage package in the world.

A recycled aluminum can generates 95% less pollution than one made from scratch and requires 96% less energy.

One recycled can saves the energy equivalent of 6 ounces of gas or the electricity to power a guitar amplifier for two hours."

You can't hear it, but Dale is laughing at anyone who thinks good beer can't come out of a can.

DSCN3192.jpg

Back