Blue Corn and Citrus IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvestre

Reaction score
So, I am living in Mexico these days, and I'd like to make a beer that reflects a bit of the local ingredients and flavors.

I'm not sure that what I'm thinking about could still be classed as an IPA, but I am thinking of a sort of Ithaca Flower Power as the base malt and hop flavors. However, I'd like to do a cereal mash with a bit of blue corn. I've heard that the blue corn can lead to some astringent/bitter flavors, due to some chemistry that is above my head at this moment. However, I've heard this can be avoided by introducing a bit of ascorbic acid (vitamin c). Which leads me to my next point: I live on a property full of orange, lime and grapefuit trees. If I include some citrus peel to the dry hop, does anyone know if this will contribute enough vitamin c to avoid the bitterness of the blue corn? or would I need to boil the peel to extract the vitamin c? From what I've seen, there are about 136mg Vit C per 100g of peel. For 1lb of blue corn, does anyone have any idea as to how much vitamin C i would need?

Anyone ever heard of a beer like this or make one yourself?

Thanks a lot and happy brewing!

Back