Blowout + krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WileyCoyote88

Reaction score
Making a Saison for my 2nd batch. Pitched yeast and about 12 hours later i woke up and the airlock popped so i added a blowoff tube. Not enough headspace evidently.
The krausen look good??
And any issue using the blowoff tube thru end of fermentation?
Thnks!

Attachments

• 20200713_140921.jpg
    20200713_140921.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
One of my very first batches was a high gravity Saison. My wife and I just moved into our last apartment at the time. We were both at work and when I came home I found the lid of my bucket on the floor next to the fermentor, krausen painted up both walls (it was in the corner) and on the ceiling. I'm surprised the airlock didn't come through the floor of our upstairs neighbors' apartment lol. We did not get our security deposit back...

Since then I have used a blowoff tube for every batch. FYI, what happened in my situation was that a little tiny hop particle clogged one of the orifices on the bottom of the airlock. It doesnt take much to cause a HUGE mess. Cheers!

No problems, krasuen looks good! Definitely use a blowoff tube and you can move back to an airlock after activity has lessened.

I had a blowout this morning. Sat in the fermenter for about 36 hours, then around 8:30 a.m. I hear a loud thump sound. Luckily I had it in a big moving box so it didn't make a mess on the walls or ceiling. Currently have a blowoff tube in there.

Back