Blowoff tube question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorback_Jack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm fermenting with an S 04 yeast and heard it's a very active fermentation, so I should use a blowoff tube. Only problem: blowoff tube fits into the hole in my fermenting bucket lid, but it's not snug. The tube has a rubber grommet but the hole is too tight for the grommet. So, the grommet is covering the hole but it's not airtight. Nothing is getting in to my bucket, I'm just worried that it's not airtight. Right now CO2 is escaping so maybe it's not a problem. When does it become a problem?

I'd wrap it with masking tape to the lid so it seals a bit better. I've been known to do that, even though my blow-off tube has an old "S" type airlock stem in one end.

If you have an 3-piece airlock you can attach an siphon tube, 1/2" I believe directly to the piece of the airlock you insert into your bucket. Just be careful not to push the grommet into the bucket!

Yeah use a blow-off. I didn't start out with a blow-off tube, but needed one in less than 18 hours with S-04. that was the first time I used that yeast.

If you have an 3-piece airlock you can attach an siphon tube, 1/2" I believe directly to the piece of the airlock you insert into your bucket. Just be careful not to push the grommet into the bucket!

This is what I do. You should be able to push the tube into the "stem" portion of the airlock that is typically covered. It should cone/taper down towards end creating snug fit (also, if the end of 3 piece is slotted, cut the slots off so hole is open & less chance of clogging w/ krausen). I have a RIS 48 h in w/ us-04 (first time using) and tube is loaded w/ krausen and ferment is so vigorous my wife is worrying of explosion...shower curtains are drawn hahaha.

Good solutions already noted. I use some plumbers/Teflon tape to snug up connections that have become unsnug.

As I said, placed some electrical tape around the grommet (on top of the lid of course), and I've got great fermentation happening from the looks of it. Thanks all!

Back