Blow off tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewed

Reaction score
Blow off tubes. Always a good idea no matter how well behaved your ferment is appearing...

571B44E9-D745-40D9-B8BD-A5861A02C9D6.jpeg
9479241B-BEA3-4A17-9B9B-AB064C94CC4E.jpeg

I fear the day this happens to me, I know it will happen yet I never rig a blow off. Maybe deep down I want it to happen :eek:

Luckily I'm yet to have a beer blow! I do ferm in a 7 gal fermonster though, so plenty of head space.

If you don't want to hassle with blow off tubes or getting bigger fermenters use Fermcap-S @ 2 drops/gallon . Works great to prevent boil over when making starter wort and in the kettle as well.

If you don't want to hassle with blow off tubes or getting bigger fermenters use Fermcap-S @ 2 drops/gallon . Works great to prevent boil over when making starter wort and in the kettle as well.

Omega's Belgian Ale W (3787 Trappist High Gravity/ Westmalle / Westvleteren) begs to differ. Luckily I caught it within an hour or so and then rigged a blowoff. Lesson learned. I've used Fermcap to boil 5.5g in a 6g pot, but those Belgian yeast are something else entirely.

Blow off tubes. Always a good idea no matter how well behaved your ferment is appearing...

View attachment 553845 View attachment 553846

Agreed.

I got lucky on my very first brew. I went downstairs to check on it and found the airlock clogged and the lid ready to blow. In a pinch I replaced the airlock with a piece of hose I had nearby and put it into the bucket of sanitizer that was still downstairs also.

Been using one ever since...

Omega's Belgian Ale W (3787 Trappist High Gravity/ Westmalle / Westvleteren) begs to differ. Luckily I caught it within an hour or so and then rigged a blowoff. Lesson learned. I've used Fermcap to boil 5.5g in a 6g pot, but those Belgian yeast are something else entirely.

I never brew with Belgian yeasts, so will take your word for it. Good to know if I ever try any of them.

Funny thing is there was 2 to 3 drops of ferm cap per gallon added during the boil. Perhaps I should have added more at pitch?

I don't use it in the boil, just the fermenter and when boiling DME for starters. I don't think you get much carry over from the boil to the fermeter.

The fda requires ferm cap be filtered out in commercial applications.

I doubt it’s a huge issue at the homebrew level but I try to limit its use. It shouldn’t be used like franks hot sauce imo.

Back