Blow-off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zero

Reaction score
Need some quick advice:

Got a batch into the primary last night, (second one ever, extract) and it's bubbling through the airlock pretty vigorously. It's to the point where some of the starsan solution is coming through the holes in the cap on the airlock.

My primary is a food-grade bucket with a sealed lid, and the airlock is plugged into a hole in top. Is a blow-off tube something I need to get on there? The only way I thought to try it was to put some hose over the airlock outlet, but of course the hose I have won't fit.

Any ideas how to set one up, or do I even need to worry about it?

Take the top off of your airlock. Then remove the internal floaty piece from the airlock. Attach your hose to the airlock stem now.

You can sanitize the hose, and then insert one end into the bung in your bucket. Then stick the other end into a vessel of water (I use a mason jar).

Works like charm

Hey Zero,

No worries. First off since it sounds like you have a very active fermentation going on, I'd go ahead and remove the airlock (3 piece I hope). Then what I do is to just use the plastic part that fits into the top of the bucket. Run some hose from the stem inside the airlock and then I prep an empty growler with sanitizer water and put the other end of the blow off tube into the growler. So I'd suggest you maybe go pick up another hose that will fit. I've used just straight hose from a hardware shop for blow off, since I wasn't actually putting any beer through it. Never had an issue.

If you can't right now, then I wouldn't worry about it to much. I've had airlocks blow with krausen reside and that's when I switched over to a blow off tube. These days, my primary is always a blow off tube and then I use just an airlock for secondary.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Travel Mon

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I'm off to the hardware store. I really don't feel like cleaning beer off the ceiling if the lid decides to head off with it's own agenda.

Latest posts

Back