Blow off tube size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBecksOSU1

Reaction score
Brewing a high OG (1.070-74) double IPA (5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon fermenter).

Am I ok using an airlock (standard 3 piece) with tubing sticking out or should I buy a bigger bung with a larger diameter tube?

Should be fine. I use a standard size tube (I'm pretty sure it's 3/8" ID) and push it straight into the bung...I've found this is easier than trying to fit it over the middle of the airlock. I've seen many people with larger 1/2" ID tubing, but you should be ok with the 3/8"

Are you fermenting in a bucket or carboy? When I ferment in a bucket, I put a blowoff hose right through the hole in the lid. I can't recall the OD of the hose that works. You just need it for a few days until high krausen subsides. Then switch it out with an airlock for the rest of the fermentation.

With a carboy, you could get a hose with a large enough OD to snuggly fit in the opening. I'm not sure of the diameter of a carboy opening but I've purchased tubing with 1-1/4" OD from Lowes. Or get a hose that fits into the stopper hole. That one is pretty small, maybe 1/4 or 5/16 OD. That could get clogged if fermentation is aggressive.

I popped a corny of brown ale in the FC about 2 hours ago. First time using the FC. Added Fermcap to the batch before sealing it up, so not looking for high krausen.

I'm trying a gas disconnect with a duotight adapter and 4mm EVABarrier tubing into a gallon jug half full of StarSan. Anybody else that's done similar?

I had an explosion when using a 3/8" blow-off tube. I had transferred the hops to the fermenter, and they plugged the tube. Lesson learned.

I either got lucky, or the Fermcap is really helping, prolly a bit of both.

Came back to my place after a weekend with friends and the 4mm EVABarrier was still bubbling away. There must have been a point where activity was enough to cause bubbles/StarSan to overtop the gallon jug (it was half full of liquid), as the bottom of the FC was wet with sanitizer. LOL

Other than a strong scent of hops and ferm-gas, the FC was OK :cool:

My OK(OverKill) blow off tube for when I my temps free rise:
IMG_20210101_132225615.jpg

The above hose is IIRC 1"ID from Home Depot, it will fit most carboy and any fermenter that accepts a #6.5 bung.

The hole in any bung for the airlock will hold 3/8"ID length of tubing no problem.

Back