Blow off tube size and its effect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcoz

Reaction score
Is it possible to have a negative effect on fermentation because a blow off tube is too small? I just had two cases of stuck ferm (Porter, Rye PA), 1064 and 1069 OG, after 7 days of temp controlled fermentation with a ramp up - 4 days at 65-66, ramped to 70 over next 3 days.

Took a sample out of the port at the bottom, both exactly 1019. I used some beer line as a blow off because it fit right into the stopper, I havent really used them in the past. Had problems with a big mouth fermenter lid staying on both, but I thought that was part of the issues a lot of people were having with them, as opposed to a problem with the blow off size.

My ferm problem could be several things, but I used the proper amount of yeast (S05) in each, oxygenated both...I'm wondering if the C02 could possibly have been forced into solution causing yeast issues.

No, I don't think that would have an effect. As long as there is a place for the CO2 to escape without pressure building. Is the lid comingo off because of a pressure issue? I don't have a big mouth bubbler... but if there's too much pressure, beer line might be too tight to allow blow off without getting clogged.

I don't think it would have an effect on fermentation either way though.

No, I don't think that would have an effect. As long as there is a place for the CO2 to escape without pressure building. Is the lid comingo off because of a pressure issue? I don't have a big mouth bubbler... but if there's too much pressure, beer line might be too tight to allow blow off without getting clogged.

I don't think it would have an effect on fermentation either way though.

Thanks...I guess I'll have to look to other things for issues with my fermentation process that could have influenced this.

I really don't understand it. The fermentation looked very healthy when it was going on, and its doubtful I get another point or two out of it.

Back