Blow off tube set ups

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanton

Reaction score
Can you guys please post a few pics of your blow off tube set ups?

I have had the air lock explosion happen a few times. I just bought 2 stainless SS fermenting buckets and want to avoid any air lock explosions in the future.

Thanks in advance.

bubbles1.jpg

i use this setup. this is just a pic from google image.
orange carboy caps with a hose attached to bottle of starsan

i've had some serious vigorous fermentation's go through it with no clogs.

some people use a 1" tube stuck right into the top of the carboy. i've never had probs with this method tho.

Here are a few of mine:

I have used the silicon bung with a standard 3 piece airlock which has the capped removed and a vinyl tube down into the water when I do a yeast that has a high krausen to it. I do this so I won't F up the TC pressure gauge top.

But I typically just put my TC pressure cap on it when I do a closed-pressure ferment - or I just put a silicon tube on the compression (top part of the pic) threads when I am not. This way when the bubbles near completion I just put my closed cap on the top and I am done for the next two weeks...

IMG_20150119_161342_177.jpg

Here's a couple:

The big , reinforced vinyl hose like Home Depot carries, happens to be 1 3/8 O.D., which corresponds to the opening in "most" glass carboy's.
It's a tight fit, with a short chunk lubed up with StarSan, and a 1" PVC elbow fits it snugly, should you need it in a tight clearance situation.

Same thing on the one in the milk cooler, but I shortened the elbow a little, screwed in a reducer, and downsized the hose to exit the case through an existing hole.

Back