Blow off tube rigged with airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hmph

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAonkc-58Ig&context=C30cbad8ADOEgsToPDskKcKjF8E4rqJgIQsqTNqVSK]Homebrew Blow off tube rigged with an airlock - YouTube[/ame] <-- link

Above is just a quick video demonstrating what I did to solve a blowoff problem with limited resources (mostly just midwests' starter kit). Just wanted to post it for any people that may have the same issue and not much to work with.

As is always mentioned don't panic!!

This is in the description of the video but thought I would post it here as well.

"Background:
So I had a blow-off this morning with my current batch of homebrew. Yeast was pitched around 2:30p.m. yesterday afternoon or so, found it this morning around 8:00a.m. or so airlock clogged, and the lid of the bucket had opened a bit. I sanitized a new airlock, sealed the lid and put the airlock on. I had to take my son to preschool soon after. When I got back the airlock was full again and the top was bulging. So I needed to figure out a good way to set up a blow off tube.

Problem and Solution:
I'm using the Midwest starter kit (Brewing Starter Kit w/Better Bottle) and a few other random items I have purchased. I however don't have fittings or anything (other than airlocks) which will fit in the grommetted hole on top of the bucket. So I take the second overflowed airlock off and clean and sanitize. Using the tube that came with the kit, which I cut to a shorter length, and taking the hopper and top off the airlock I squeeze the hose into the airlock out spout. (use warm/hot tube on the hose to make it more malleable). But some sanitized water in a bottle and let it bubble away. YAY!!"

P.S. Thanks for everyone's sage advice as I've been reading through the forums for quite some time. :mug:

IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2874.jpg

Back