Blow Off Tube Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jabberwalkie

Reaction score
Last night I brewed a Belgian Tripel extract with specialty grain kit. Its been in my primary fermenter for about 24 hours and now the krausen has bubbled up and out my blow off tube. My question is, should I take the blow off tube out, clean it up and replace it or just leave as is? The end of the hose is still bubbling away so gas is able to escape. Should I be afraid of microbes growing in the tube and eventually reaching my brew (even though I did have the hose in a bucket of star san)?

any help is greatly appreciated

Once the krausen subsides I like to replace it with an airlock. If that stuff dries in your tube you'll never get it out.

I leave the tube in place until the beer is done. If there is a lot of blow off I change out the catch container. I soak the tube in oxyclean and flush with a lot of fresh water to clear out the gunk. After a few years I replace the tubing. In 5 years I have thrown out 2 sections of tubing.

As long as the end of the tubing stays submerged in sanitizer you shouldn't have any worry about microbes.

What the other guys said.
And you also have to consider that the blow off tube is full of CO2. So it's unlikely that anything will grow in there anyway.
Have you ever been to a functioning craft brewery? They use a blow-off tube system and those buckets are DISGUSTING.

The other day I brewed a double IPA and I had my first air lock blow off. Ion a college student so I didn't find it for 3 days. I know there is a slight chance of infection. Should I dispose of this brew?

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

The other day I brewed a double IPA and I had my first air lock blow off. Ion a college student so I didn't find it for 3 days. I know there is a slight chance of infection. Should I dispose of this brew?

No, odds are it'll be alright. All that gas is going out, what's going to get in? Replace the airlock and go with it. Next time use a blow off tube.

Bottle it. It will be fine most likely. Happened to me more then once before i got my lazy ass to make a simple blowoff tube haha! I just pushed/forced about 4 feet of 3/8 plastic tubing - you use for siphoning - through a standard carboy bung.

Kinda looks like you beer took a **** bro.

For sure you should dispose of this beer. As soon as the fermentation is complete (like in 2 or 3 weeks) bottle it up and send it to me and I'll be your disposal unit.:D

Um, what do you know about biology as it pertains to bacteria and molds? Do you think they can move fast enough to climb through that outflow? Hint: they have no arms or legs.:p

Clean up the mess, replace the airlock, and let the yeast complete their job. Oh, quit worrying about your beer and worry about your classwork instead,:mug:

Latest posts

Back