Blow Off Tube or AirLock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vindee

Reaction score
I'm doing a 5 gallon batch of Hefeweizen this weekend, and fermenting in a 6 gallon carboy. Will I need a blow off tube or can I just get by with an airlock?
If I should use a blow off, what is the best method for connecting a tube to the carboy?
Thanks
Steve

For a Hefeweizen, a blow-off is definitely a good idea. You can use the bottom piece of a 3-piece airlock and connect tubing to the stem (where the second piece usually rests). Depending on what size tubing you have, you may have to squeeze it into the stem rather than onto the outside of it.

I'm doing a 5 gallon batch of Hefeweizen this weekend, and fermenting in a 6 gallon carboy. Will I need a blow off tube or can I just get by with an airlock?
If I should use a blow off, what is the best method for connecting a tube to the carboy?
Thanks
Steve
Any yeast can go nuts without warning. It's not a bad idea to always use a blow off tube for the first few days of fermentation.

I like to connect a hose to a carboy cap for the first few days of just about any beer I make. It seems to let the co2 out much better since the seal is not quite as tight as with a rubber bung so I never need to buy extra stuff like Fermcap, etc to control it. Then I switch over to the conventional rubber bung + airlock to keep it more air tight as the fermentation slows down.

I like to connect a hose to a carboy cap for the first few days of just about any beer I make. It seems to let the co2 out much better since the seal is not quite as tight as with a rubber bung so I never need to buy extra stuff like Fermcap, etc to control it. Then I switch over to the conventional rubber bung + airlock to keep it more air tight as the fermentation slows down.
Fermcap-S is dirt cheap (<$6), lasts forever (2 drops/gal) and you don't have to worry about blow off stuff all over the floor. Without Fermcap-S I was limited to fermenting in my basement, especially when I pitch a pint/quart of harvested yeast. I won't brew without it, especially in the summer using ale yeasts.

my Seekers Hefewiezen hardly had any Krausen.

I did use a blow off tube and will use one for EVERY batch from here on out just for insurance factor.

165504_196280710387640_100000171382742_878484_222733_n.jpg

-=Jason=-

I use one for the first few days too.. There's no reason not to - apart from sheer lazyness :)

I use blowoffs for the mad scientist look of my setup when I have various fermenters with vinyl tubing going all over the place.

And I suppose they're good insurance, too. :D

My yeast likes to take it's time. I brewed a Octoberfast last Saturday. I noticed the yeast was getting a little more active today and after seeing this thread, I decided to check on it. My airlock was over run. So here it is 6 days after my brewday and I just reinstalled a blow off tube. I had one on for the first few days but I did not think I needed it anymore. Wrong I was.....

why even remove the blow off tube during fermentation? just let it rock up with its tube out.

-=Jason=-

Back