Blow-off tube help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there anything to making a blow-off tube?

Do I just buy some hose and stick it in an airlock bung and run it into a bucket of sanitizer?

take your bottling wand hose or other suitable one, put a small slit in it...Heat it for a few minutes in hot water to soften, then do this.

Airlockbo2.jpg

Ailockbo1.jpg

One thing that I do to all my airlocks is saw or break off the little criss/cross of plastic on the bottom of them.

Beware that having the water container up high can lead to it siphoning back into your fermenter under certain conditions. The conditions are typically after the ferment is finished and there's a slight drop in temperature which can cause the CO2 in the heads pace to contract enough to draw water back up the blow off tube and start the siphon effect. Been there once and don't want to go there again. It's much safer to have the receiver jug below the top of the fermenter.

Revvy, I usually just attach my hose directly into the bung. Is there an advantage to attaching to the air lock?

Like everything in brewing there is more than one way to skin a cat. When I first needed one that was the first thing I had lying around and went with it. You do what you need to do at 5 in the morning when all you have is one hose.

Revvy, what's the purpose of the slit?

To get the hose on the tube

Beware that having the water container up high can lead to it siphoning back into your fermenter under certain conditions. The conditions are typically after the ferment is finished and there's a slight drop in temperature which can cause the CO2 in the heads pace to contract enough to draw water back up the blow off tube and start the siphon effect. Been there once and don't want to go there again. It's much safer to have the receiver jug below the top of the fermenter.

That was for photographic demonstration purposes only, I've been posting this pic on here for a bunch of years. It on the ground when I'm REALLY using it.

That was for photographic demonstration purposes only, I've been posting this pic on here for a bunch of years. It on the ground when I'm REALLY using it.

Might be a good idea to explain that when you post the pic. I could see a newbie making the mistake of placing it just as the pic shows. How would they know otherwise? Either that or maybe take another pic showing it as you actually use it.

Might be a good idea to explain that when you post the pic. I could see a newbie making the mistake of placing it just as the pic shows. How would they know otherwise? Either that or maybe take another pic showing it as you actually use it.

Actually 99% of the time I post the picture I do mention that......

Back