Blow off tube and Hood style air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdog

Reaction score
I've been using the blow off system for some time now, ever since my 6 gallon glass carboy blew up in my kitchen, but that is another story.....I recently aquired a new BB 6 gallon carboys so I can increase production volume. I went to my HBS to get a plug like my other and was out of luck. Instead I bought the Orange Hood cap like lock. I do not like it for it is not air tight. It more or less "covers" the neck. I guess it will serve the purpose but I am not comfortable with it. Does any one have any thoughts on this? Is this hood style able to become a air tight seal? Should I not be worried about it? My instinct says to got back to the plug style.

Brew on
:mug:

IMO/IME, the carboy caps are more for pushing the brew out without using an autosiphon, or having to catch a tube full of sanitizer before going to the bottling bucket. I used them, for a while, to help transfer finished beer out of my sanke keg fermenters, before I had those fitted with gas ball lock fittings (and posts). I would just get the large, universal, bung for the BB carboy and not worry about it at all. Otherwise, you could use some zip ties around the BB opening (over the cap) as well as on the two 'posts' on the cap.

Back