blow off tube / airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carndog

Reaction score
I am going to brew a 5 gallon extract batch and place it in my 6.5 gallon better bottle carboy. I will use a blow off tube. I usually switch to a airlock about a week into the fermentation. I won't be around to switch out the blow off tube to and airlock. Is it OK to leave the blow off tube in the entire 2 weeks the beer in the primary? Is there anything else I sure do to ensure proper fermentation?

Thanks.

Yes that will be fine. The two are functionally the same. Gas can only go one way, and both are sealed by the liquid. Just use sanitizer in the overflow bottle.

I usually switch from a blow off tube to an airlock after about a week as well. The only reason I switch is that I have my fermenter in my dining room, so the wife likes me to get rid of the excess tubing and pail once the initial activity has finished. As long as your blow off tube is configured properly you can leave it on as long as you would for an airlock.

I don't use an airlock until it's time for secondary. Don't like messing with my beer before the next step in the process.

I usually start with an airlock. If it looks like it might blowoff (some need it, some don't)then I switch it to a blowoff for the remainder of the fermentation. It works just fine. Steakandale said it perfect, the two are functionally the same.

Back