Blow-off = top-cropping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudginsclan

Reaction score
Hey all!

On Saturday, I brewed up a Belgian Dubbel with Wyeast 3787 (Trappist High Gravity) from a starter. The fermentation took off and started blowing through the airlock yesterday (Sunday) evening. I rigged up a blow-off tube leading into a growler with Star-san solution in it. I sanitized everything (blow-off tube, growler) before replacing the airlock.

According to Wyeast, 3787 is a true top-cropping yeast, so (not surprisingly), I now have about an inch of Yeast slurry collected in the bottom of the growler.

My question: Is this yeast useful? As I said, everything that touched the blow-off was sanitized, and the growler contained star-san solution, so contamination should be minimal. Anyone know how will the Star-san affect the yeast?

Thanks,

Doug

Starsan breaks down into very effective yeast nutrient. It's only good for them. I'd proceed to wash the yeast before using, but it should be worth keeping for starters.

IrregularPulse--Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Maybe I'll make a starter out of it just to see what happens.

Doug

Back