Blow Off System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiescins

Reaction score
What is the best way to set up a blow off system? I'm planning a RIS brew day in Nov and think i might need to make a change from my 6.5 gal glass carboy with "S" airlock. The RIS is going to be a 5gal batch with a projected ABV of 9.5%. Any thoughts?

I just use a piece of aluminum foil that i've sprayed with sanitizer. I have to clean up a little more after it spooges on itself and in the chest freezer, but other than that, it's no big deal. Then after it's blown it's wad, i just put an airlock back on it.

I just use a piece of aluminum foil that i've sprayed with sanitizer. I have to clean up a little more after it spooges on itself and in the chest freezer, but other than that, it's no big deal. Then after it's blown it's wad, i just put an airlock back on it.

Richard Simmons must love your beer.

I just jam a piece of vinyl tubing into a standard carboy bung.

I've done a very similar recipe with a standard bung and "S" airlock and the fermentation was extremely aggresive, to the point I was scared of a blow out. Also, the similar recipe was only 4gal in the 6.5gal carboy.

I'm looking for very secure way to get more flow than i have now. The fermentor is in our spare bedroom, a blow out would severely limit my ability for future brewing.

take apart your three piece airlock, and jam a 3-4 foot long piece of vinyl tube onto the inner piece. I think 3/8 ID tubing works, If I recall.

Then just jam the stopper into your carboy and run the tube into a small bucket half full of sanitizer. I use an empty LME jar for the job.

1" Tubing

beer1.jpg

20080322-bigFermentation.jpg

PICT0484.JPG

normal_2006_05_Sweeny_Pics_025.jpg

I like the 3 piece airlock method...use it personally and love it. But be careful when you remove the tubing from the airlock, it'll break if you try to pull on it. You want to put some water in the microwave for 3 minutes then soak the tubing and airlock in there for a few seconds and it'll pull right off.

I'm looking for very secure way to get more flow than i have now. The fermentor is in our spare bedroom, a blow out would severely limit my ability for future brewing.

I've had some hoppy beers nearly clog the 5/16" ID tubing, but never completely clogged and never had it blow out entirely. I take measures to minimize trub in the fermenter though.

If you're worried about clogs, the 1" vinyl stuck in the carboy neck that klyph is showing has worked for me, but I experienced more beer loss that I wanted that way.

Back