blow off in airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eharmon

Reaction score
new to brewing. I am on my my 4th batch and this one got a little more active then the last ones. I m 24hrs into fermentation and came home to discover that there is major blow off wort and foam all over the outside of the carboy. The krausen has not fallen, and it is bubbling like crazy, should I remove the airlock and santize it and replace or wait till the krausen has fallen. Thanks for suggestions

Put a 3/8 or 1/2 inch vinyl tube of the inside stem of the airlock, put the other end in some weak santizing solution and you're set......

Of course, clean the airlock out first and welcome to the Club of Clogged Airlocks :)

new to brewing. I am on my my 4th batch and this one got a little more active then the last ones. I m 24hrs into fermentation and came home to discover that there is major blow off wort and foam all over the outside of the carboy. The krausen has not fallen, and it is bubbling like crazy, should I remove the airlock and santize it and replace or wait till the krausen has fallen. Thanks for suggestions

If the activity is slowing, you can just clean the outside and put a new sanitized airlock in there. If it were me, I'd probably put a blowoff tube in. Have you used a blowoff tube before? If not, its very easy. Just grab a two liter soda bottle or container of some kind and fill it halfway with water. One end of the tube will go in the stopper (replace the airlock) and the other will go down in the water. This is a great way to be sure you don't have a mess on your hands.

I pretty much always use blowoffs for the first few days unless I know the yeast very well.

The same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago, I ramped up the sugars in my farmhouse ale and I used honey to do so and I think I used a bit too much and my primary was going like crazy. I think part of my problem was that I did not leave enough head space in my primary and it was fermenting at a warmer temperature. I transferred about half of the contents from my primary into another and then ended up transferring them into my secondary about 3 weeks ago..... it's still pretty active.

thanks so much, luckily I got to the hardware store just in time to get some tubing that would fit the end of my spare airlock! I think I did not leave enough headspace on this batch. I am thinking my first three I was overly accurate on how much was in the carboy, and this time after reading some more suggestions were to have 5.5 gallons in your fermenter not 5 to ensure getting 5 gallons of beer.... Since I did a full boil at 7 gallons and didn't pour it all into thought I was good... Well two lesson learned one about the joys of a blow off tube and one about the amount of liquid in the carboy.

Back