Blow off hose filling up fast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let it go into the bucket. When krausen stops pushing into the blow off tube, replace with an air lock and clean immediately. Nothing harder to get rid of later than dried gunk.

You really need more head space. A gallon and a half of head space for a five gallon brew is typical. Less beer will go through the blow off.

You're seriously short on head space, this could be interesting, please take pictures:rockin:

LOL!!!! No kidding!

Yah, take the good advice on more headspace, and I hope you have a large reservoir for the blow off, it will fill up I bet. Enjoy the beer, I hope its great! :mug: and, the krausen will push through, no worries, so leave as is. Yes to the pics too as this progresses, interested!

Cheers

After you replace your blowoff tube with an airlock use a carboy brush to clean it out.

Yeah the recipe called for it to be filled up to six gallons so I just followed along lol hopefully it works!

With the large hose, it probably wont be a problem. Make sure you have plenty of receiving room in the bucket/jug! You can probably expect about 1/2 a quart plus some foam into the bucket.

I use a 1/2" ID hose, and that will back up with foam sometimes. So after a day or so in primary, instead of a constant bubbling, I hear nothing for about 20 seconds, then a mad rush of bubbles for about 2-3 seconds.

Congrats on the first brew!

5gal bucket should be more than enough for a blow off!

I usually use a growler that is about 1/2 full.

Back