Blood moon belgian wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Br3w4u

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3944 Belgian wit yeast
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Estimated 1.012
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Estimated 6.35
Color
Cloudy orange
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Tasting Notes
Haven’t tasted yet. Will update later
5# Belgian Pilsner
4# flaked wheat
1# flaked oats
4 oz. carapils

Mashed 60 min at 150
Batch sparge

.25 oz. experimental tangerine 6.5%AA wort hop
2 oz. experimental tangerine 6.5%AA 20 min. Hop stand at 170

Added the zest of 2 blood oranges and 1 tangelo and 1 tsp crushed coriander with 5 min. left in the boil.

This beer was brewed during the week of a blood moon so I don’t know if remaking this beer during a non blood moon would affect anything. Doubtful but at least it adds some cool points to it right? It’s fermenting right now at 65 degrees. I will update tasing notes in a couple of weeks.

Excellent beer! The aroma is like a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice. Taste is strongly citrusy and a little sweet with a dry finish. I could drink it all day. The only thing that I would change for next time would be maybe add a little special B to get more malt character and I would just use the 2 blood oranges and leave out the tangelo just because I don’t feel like it’s necessary. I will definitely be making this again though. I don’t think that the experimental tangerine hops are a requirement but they smell awesome when you add them to the kettle. You could substitute them with pretty much any citrus type hop.

I just did something very similar. Came out a little hoppier than I was looking for, but still delicious. I used 1 oz cascade @60 and 1 oz cascade @10. If I brew again will definitely look into citrus hops. I used a blood orange puree from the restaurant I work at.

I just did something very similar. Came out a little hoppier than I was looking for, but still delicious. I used 1 oz cascade @60 and 1 oz cascade @10. If I brew again will definitely look into citrus hops. I used a blood orange puree from the restaurant I work at.
I like it the way it is but yeah most of the comments I am getting are that it’s a little too bitter for the style. I didn’t think about adding the fruit. Do you have to add it in the whirlpool?

Yes. Added some post boil, after primary, didn't come out quite orangey enough added more during fermentation (force carb in keg)

Interestingly enough, I came up with the same name when I brewed it lookup the album grapefruit moon by Southside Johnny makes a great label if you bottle.

I took a bottle of this to the LHBS and the guy that tried it admitted that he doesn’t like Belgian beer but he liked this one because it was so clean. He said that it probably wouldn’t score well as a Belgian wit if I enter it in that category though because it just doesn’t have enough phenolic character to stand out in the category. I still like it though.

Back