Blonde in the Garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pedro-

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1272
Yeast Starter
1/2 gal Pull from Active 15bbl conical
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 Days @ 60° F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
20 Days @ 55° F
Additional Fermentation
Raise to 70 for 3 Days Before Crash and Keg
Blonde in the Garage

Brewer: Pete
Style: Blonde Ale
Type: All grain
Size: 5.5 Gal
Color: 4 HCU (~4 SRM)
swatch.gif

OG: 1.038
FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 3.4% v/v
Grain Bill:
9.5 lb. American 2-row
0.5 lb. American crystal 10L
Mash: 60% efficiency (First Shot at this System :rolleyes:)
Dough in 3.5 Gal @ 168°F
Mash 60 min @ 152°F
Sparge 4 Gal @ 170°F Until 6 Gal wort collected
Boil: 90 Min.
Hops: 21 IBU
.5 oz. Amarillo (9.8% AA, 60 min.)
.25 oz. Amarillo (9.8% AA, 10 min.)

Primary Fermentation: 4/3/08
Cooled to ~70°F w/ wort chiller (forming whirlpool)
Poured 5.5 Gal wort into 6.5 Gal Glass Carboy
Pitched Growler of 1272 yeast and attached airlock
10 Days @ ~60°F

Secondary:4/13/08
Slowly cooled to 55°F
17 Days @ 55°F (Same carboy, no racking)
Allow to rise to ~70°F for 3 days

Kegging:5/3/08
Crash cooled as low as possible with 2-liter Ice cubes for 24 hrs
Racked 5 gal to Corny Keg
2.5 Vol Co2 (11 psi for 10 days)

Tasting Notes: Light, crisp, slightly fruity with nice citrus notes. Creamy finish. Not too bad for a basic light beer.
1. Strict bud light drinker upon tasting: "I like the smell on this beer, that's pretty good!"
2. Homebrew First Timer: "Wow thats really good! Kind of a creamy taste at the end. Honey come try this, guess where he got this beer!"

Allowing it to cold condition for about a month in the fridge, getting clearer everyday. Will post picture when I break it in.

Well here's the picture...
DSC01356.jpg

[Edit:] Forgot to add Irish Moss until the last minute or two of the boil. oops.

Change that 4 gallon @ 170F sparge into two separate 2 gallon sparges @ 180F and your 60% will go up big time.

Duly Noted!

I'll be brewing an american wheat in about a week, i'll add that in.

Change that 4 gallon @ 170F sparge into two separate 2 gallon sparges @ 180F and your 60% will go up big time.

A mashout with 1.5 gallons of 200º water followed by a single 2.5 gallon sparge at 170º would also do the trick.

Just not in my experience... hey try them both on back to back batches and let me know how it goes.

Sounds like another experiment for me but I need to aquire two identical small coolers for the mash.

It's funny how a method that works for one person doesn't work as well for another. I think he definately should try both and see how they work for him.

After I get some more data points with the MOSBS (Mash-out Single Batch Sparge) method I'll do a run of brews with NMODBS. I guess I should be randomizing my brew days to one of the two methods...but nah!

I would't mind doing a little countertop mash and colander/bucket sparge to compare the two but I need to make sure the two mashes are identical. I think I have a way... two metal bowls sitting in a hot water bath inside my old cooler mash tun. This ensures same mash temp, but separate mashes without having to buy anything new. I need to do some more thinking... and this thread isn't the place to keep this going.. Sorry for the threadjack. I love blonde ales.

Well here's the picture...

something i recently noticed... you can see the back door of my neighbors sunroom through that glass of beer. holy crapola. that's the first time i've ever had a beer that clear!

/end personal gloat

Back