Blonde Ale Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedIvan16

Reaction score
Hey all,

Came up with an English style blonde ale recipe a couple weeks ago and I'm probably going to brew it this weekend. One thing I haven't determined however is what yeast strain I should use for it. What is typical for this style? I was thinking of using London ESB because it does a great job at showcasing the malt profile, but I could be wrong because this is my first time brewing it.

Any suggestions on what to use? British ale yeast? London ale?

Whats the actual recipe?

Personally, I made a hoppy blonde (NE style Session IPA) with with 1318 and I really loved the way it turned out. I would definitely recommend it or any other british ale strain with some character.

WLP023 Burton is a great English-style yeast packed with flavor. Definitely depends on what you're going for though. Are you looking for a crystal clear beer with a small amount of fruit character? If so, WLP002 or WLP007 would be good English choices.

I based this on a couple of blonde ales I really enjoyed drinking on a trip to the UK in September. My take is a little hoppier than they are traditionally. This is for a 4 gallon batch because I'm just experimenting right now

Maris Otter - 85%
English Wheat - 10%
Carapils - 2.5%

A small amount of Magnum and Challenger for bittering, and some noble hops at the end for flavor.

The goal is to be a clear, straw colored English blonde ale that's super sessionable. Over in the UK, I loved the slight fruity and up front maltiness of the style, so I guess that's what I'm aiming for

I based this on a couple of blonde ales I really enjoyed drinking on a trip to the UK in September. My take is a little hoppier than they are traditionally. This is for a 4 gallon batch because I'm just experimenting right now

Maris Otter - 85%
English Wheat - 10%
Carapils - 2.5%

A small amount of Magnum and Challenger for bittering, and some noble hops at the end for flavor.

The English Wheat plus WLP023 Burton may add a little too much "haziness" based on what you're looking for. I'd go with WLP007. Has some good fruit flavors, but attenuates higher than WLP002. I think a drier beer would work better for what you're looking for.

I use one of the versions of Conan/Vermont IPA yeast in my blonde ale and it works great (it is an english yeast). It gives a slight fruitiness. Leaves some residual sugar behind for a bit more body in a low ABV beer.

1968 would work well too.

I would use Wyeast 1469 then. It's got a bit more present british character than some of the other cleaner british strains out there like 1968 and 007. 1469 is slightly fruity and finishes very malty without dulling hops much.

I would use Wyeast 1469 then. It's got a bit more present british character than some of the other cleaner british strains out there like 1968 and 007. 1469 is slightly fruity and finishes very malty without dulling hops much.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. My LHBS had the 1469 last time I was there, so I'll be sure to grab that when picking up my ingredients

Sounds like I'm probably too late for this, but just as a comment :

What is typical for this style?

The house yeast.

In Wyeast terms, Fulller's would only ever use 1968, whereas Tim Taylor couldn't conceive of using anything other than 1469. It's all about beer as an expression of identity, rather than looking up someone else's (often wrong) idea of what it "should" taste like. Particularly with that kind of basic "cooking" beer. Sure, 1968 and 1469 will produce different beers, but that's kind of the point. Arguably at a homebrew level, the house yeast of British homebrewers is Nottingham, it's also widely used commercially here and dry yeast fits the unpretentious nature of these beers.

Play around - out of date liquid yeasts work quite well for 1 gallon batches, and allow you to try different yeasts - I'm in the middle of doing similar experiments myself. One I've got my eye on is WLP022 Essex, which is meant to be a more characterful cousin of 1968/002. You don't say where you are but if eg you're on the US West Coast, then WLP076 "New Albion" or WLP041 "Redhook" are British yeasts that have made it over there; if you're further east then the Yeast Bay's Midwestern Ale (supposedly Bell's) and WLP008 "Sam Adam's" have less British character but are still closer to your terroir.

If you're wanting something a bit more left-field then WLP540/1762 "Rochefort" appears to be a British yeast that somehow ended up in a Belgian monastery. It's unrelated to other Belgians and unlike them is POF- but still gives bags of esters.

Don't feel too constrained with the hops, either - this is something of a ragbag style, it's not like eg pilsner where everything is tightly proscribed. Arguably the classic combination is some late Goldings and then a generous slug of Cascade at flameout/whirlpool and/or in the fermenter, but traditionally you also saw a fair bit of Fuggles, Saaz and Styrians.

These days the style seems to be splitting in two, reflecting the ordinary vs best distinction in brown bitter. The cheap ones are 3.8% ABV with standard 2-row pale malt, and a fair amount of cheap hops like Junga from Poland (which can still work really quite well). The fancier ones are 4-4.5% perhaps with some premium malt like Otter or Golden Promise and showing off some more interesting hops like the New Zealand ones for instance. I'd tend to brew one of the latter, you've got a bit more scope to play with than the ordinary ones (which in turn means that the ordinary ones are harder to brew well). Sometimes you'll get some pilsner malt in the mix, 5-6% torrified wheat is quite common, particularly up north.

Don't attempt perfection by copying others - your beer should tell a story of who you are, however imperfect you may be.

Back