blonde ale recipe (feedback)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carloscede2

Reaction score
So, I am very new at this, started about 7 months ago and I was first just using beer kit recipes and following the lame instructions. So far Ive made 3 5 gallons batches turning out somehow ok but I guess a lot of that is due to the instructions on the beer kits. After reading How to Brew from John palmer I've learnt quite a lot and now I feel confident into working towards more complex brewing and leave behind the lame kits. So I lined up a simple recipe that I hope turns out better than the other batches. I am looking for some helpful feedback.

Simple Blonde Ale recipe

6lbs of briess extra light pilsner (dme)
0.5 lbs of caramel 20L
1.5 Oz of hallertauer leaf hops (3.3%) at 60 and 0.5 Oz at 15
Muntons Ale yeast
Calculated Ibu 14.6
OG 1040

So, what do you guys think?

I am very new at this, I started brewing 7 months ago and I have only made 3 batches. Those 3 batches where beer kits with lame instructions such as add sugar and things like that. I recently finished the book how to Brew from John Palmer and learnt quite a lot of things. Now I have a great understanding of how it works and I am determined to make quality beer. So, I lined up this simple recipe and I was hopping to get some feedback or advices.

Blonde ale

6 lbs of dme briess extra light pilsner
0.5 lbs of caramel 20L
1.5 Oz Hallertauer leaf hops at 60
0.5 Oz hallertauer leaf hops at 15
Muntons Ale yeast
Calculated Ibu 14.6

Looking forward to hear back from you!

This should be a very good easy drinking beer. I brew something similar except 100% Pilsner malt no caramel and 19 ibu. We can't seem to keep the keg full long. Crafty enough for beer snobs and does not scare the bud light guys away ether.

Looks pretty standard for a Blonde.
Sidenote: You may have already heard this, when brewing a light extract beer, add 2/3 of the DME late, even at flameout. You may get more noticeable bitterness, but not so much to be out of style. The main thing you gain is reduced chance of scorching (keeping it BLONDE) and I noticed that it helped get rid of that "extract" flavor a lot of my extract beers had.

Looks pretty standard for a Blonde.
Sidenote: You may have already heard this, when brewing a light extract beer, add 2/3 of the DME late, even at flameout. You may get more noticeable bitterness, but not so much to be out of style. The main thing you gain is reduced chance of scorching (keeping it BLONDE) and I noticed that it helped get rid of that "extract" flavor a lot of my extract beers had.
I've seen people talking about that, I just never really knew the actual meaning of doing that.

Hops are a little low, I'd put a full ounce in at 10-15 min.

Latest posts

Back