Blonde Ale Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffin495

Reaction score
I brewed up a 1.5 gallon batch of blonde on Friday (3 days ago) and used Safale US-05. I set my fermentation chamber to 60F, but now am second guessing myself. Is that too low a temperature? Should I raise it up? I've also been read a few posts today about raising the fermenting temperature later on. I could use some pointers about that. How high to raise it and when? Ramp it up or just jump straight to a higher temp? Thanks in advance. I'm still new to this and actually haven't brewed anything in about a year. Just trying to get back into it right.

I usually ferment US05 at about 66 degrees. If I were you I'd bump it up a little, some people say that yeast can develop fruity tastes when fermented that cold. I'd at least bring it up 4 degrees if I were you, I don't think it matters too much how quickly you bring it up but if you want to ramp it up over a day or so that'd be fine.

60F is on the low side but is likely OK. Consider raising the temp a few degrees each day. You should probably finish around 70F, and I'd be uncomfortable making that jump all at once.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm thinking I'll bump it 3 degrees today when I get home and then 2 tomorrow. Let it sit at 65 for a week or so, and then finish at 70. Sound like a plan?

I think I was trying to compensate for that first higher temp when it really takes off.

For another datapoint, I usually ferment at 59F with us-05. I have an american blonde ale on tap right now that was exactly that. I usually bump the temp up a few degrees after a week.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm thinking I'll bump it 3 degrees today when I get home and then 2 tomorrow. Let it sit at 65 for a week or so, and then finish at 70. Sound like a plan?

I think I was trying to compensate for that first higher temp when it really takes off.

That works for me. You may not want to take a hydrometer sample with that small a batch size, so you could consider a cold crash with or without gelatin after two weeks of fermentation. Blondes clear up nicely on their own, and should look great with a crash and finings.

I'm definitely going to do a cold crash and probably some gelatin (already picked some up just need to read more as I've never done it). Might take a reading with a refractometer.

Refractometers are not reliable once you pitch your yeast. After two weeks, you should be fine in any event.

Cold-crash for 48-72 hours and then add gelatin for 24-48 hours, per the link below. Gelatin is really easy. I'd cut the suggested amounts in half for your batch size. I just used the suggested amounts for five gallons in my three gallon batch this AM. It will all settle anyway, so I do not see a downside to using a little more than I really need.
http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/06/how-to-clear-your-beer-with-gelatin.html

I might have a chance to brew a red ale tomorrow using Nottingham for the yeast and was thinking of setting my fermentation chamber temp down to 60F, so that when fermentation kicks off, it would keep it below 65. My question is, now that my blonde is a week old, should I take it out and let it finish up at room temp for the next two (we keep the house at 73) or leave it in there while I drop the temp to 60? Currently my fermentation chamber is at 65F and there is not visible airlock activity. O should I just put bother fermenters in there and keep it at 65?

I might have a chance to brew a red ale tomorrow using Nottingham for the yeast and was thinking of setting my fermentation chamber temp down to 60F, so that when fermentation kicks off, it would keep it below 65. My question is, now that my blonde is a week old, should I take it out and let it finish up at room temp for the next two (we keep the house at 73) or leave it in there while I drop the temp to 60? Currently my fermentation chamber is at 65F and there is not visible airlock activity. O should I just put bother fermenters in there and keep it at 65?

I find myself in that situation regularly. I'd take it out and let it warm up.

Latest posts

Back